Possible issues for having auto updates on openatv

dsayers2014

VIP Member
Hi I'm thinking of using a simple script that will do ota updates that I could use in crontimer so I could have ota updates happen weekly.

My question is would it be a bad idea considering the recent ota issues or should it be fine?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about scripting but is there anyway it good be linked to the green light status to to check if it's stable, mind you I did an update on both yellow and green light status and it buggered my box up

R.T.F.I

Not that I know of. For updates that have caused boot issues it's been discussed a few times you need to flash a later nightly build

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Don't know if it would be a great thing, 9 out of 10 I'm sure it will be fine, but it's that one time is the problem
but I would use it

Just bored so I'm tinkering all you need to do is ftp usr/script create a file call it what you want I've just called it openatvupdate.sh but you can name it anything as long as it has .sh at the end.

Inside just have init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

you can test it by running the script using job manager then set a crontimer to run it weekly or daily.

Only use this if you're on openatv and running a newer image. I won't be responsible for bricking your boxes

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ok unzip this View attachment openatvupdate.sh.zip ftp the openatvupdate.sh to usr/script.

Test it in job manager

Menu, Info panel, plugins, job manager you should see openatvupdate.sh press green to run
Box will stop for a few minutes because it puts enigma2 to sleep then downloads the updates then reboots box.

Now we need to set a crontimer to run the script

Menu > Timers > CronTimers (you may be prompted to install 'busybox-cron' - install this - box will restart)

Add a Cron Timer by pressing the Green button

Run How Often ? - Daily or weekly whenever you want
Time To Execute Command Or Script - Whatever you prefer, I have 00:00
Command Type - predefined
In command to run you should see the openatvupdate.sh
Press green to save then check if it says start on autostart if not yellow to start and blue to autostart
Now reboot box thats it it should run updates at the times you set

Back