problems with connections a laptop to outr wireless supahub

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Got my sons g/f laptop and having so many problems it just will not connect. It has built in wifi says its connected but will not connect to the internet. says its not a private network and only local Only way to get it to connect is via wired.

Have been on the phone to VM about 5 times today ended up with them doing stuff remotely BUT they still could not fatham out the problem. spoke to so many different people.

Eventually i found the HP assistant - tried to set it up with that but says our Router is not compatable. I have the VM superhub. Its a compaq laptop.

Dont suppose anyone has any ideas?

Going to take it to a local pc shop monday see if they can help. Its got to be something daft as it works ok at her home - shes on talk talk broadband - but for some reason it will not talk to our supahub.

Hopeing you guys can throw some light on it b4 i end up binning it lol! Laptop is running vista and around 2 yrs old
Ive never used vista so maybe someone can tell me what info you need and how to find it if it helps
Cheers Linny :)

Have taken this to 2 pc shops - one - who im note sure i trusted said its got bugs n full of viruses told us to back it all up and he would reinstall vista and told us he would charge £50 to do that, £44 for security viruses etc - thank you i dont think we need to pay for that. 1st words were if you got norton that will stop you getting on internet. 1st shop also told us that as her lead is broken you have to purchase a compaq lead @£45 and no other lead will work. Again dont believe that! At that rate it woudl be cheaper almost to purchase a new one. Its only around 2 yrs old
2nd shop said its also very slow and could do with a fresh install= he would charge £60 to back up date and do a fresh install - never mentioned anything about virus protectors as he said you can get loads free on internet!

Neither could get onto internet, 2nd shop it was to slow and not responding when he tried to log into his wifi.2nd shop said he could sell us a lead for aprox £18 to fit the laptop. Battery is so bad it only lasts about an hr b4 it needs charging.

If its a bug on the system so it will not allow internet access why is it that i can get onto internet via the ethernet cable. The HP assistant on it said its not compatible with my router - but if that was the case then no one would be able to get on wifi as you never know what routers others are using - surely all you need is the password to get onto a wifi connection.

SO far the details i have are that its a Presario CQ60 (CQ60-111EM ) - not sure what the extra bit means.!
I have looked on google and found a few drivers for LAN and wifi which i got from here
HTML:
http://www.driverstools.com/hpcompaq-drivers/driver-compaq-presario-cq60-111em-notebook-pc-for-windows-xp-vista-7/
should i try to install these on the laptop. VM did ask her to down load a couple of drivers the other day but not sure what they were.

Now the laptop seems so slow its taking forever to load up. The laptop came preinstalled with Vista i have got what i think is the product key ( but as its on the underside of the laptop its a bit worn out) I should be able to go into some settings and copy files so that i can reformat it, but not sure where to look for these.

Problem is do i need the products key if i can copy off the rescue disks - im a bit worried incase the key i have is incorrect as its not all readable. I have got the S/N and P/N for the machine from the underside.
Hope you guys can help with this

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Make sure its not on a static IP address
sorry you must have typed this while i was typing so didnt see it. How do we do that.

Did notice that when VM asked her about the ip it came up every time starting with 169 - mine starts 192 - like most i think.

To get your product key you could try something like "magical Jelly bean keyfinder"

If you open your "Network and Sharing Center" and click on "Change adaptor settings" on the left this should bring up your "Network connections".

Click the properties of your wireless connection and then check the properties of "Internet protocol version 4" ....does that have an ip address already added? If so click on "Obtain an IP address automatically" and same for the DNS part and then try connecting again.

If it is your drivers go to the manufacturers website and search for that particular model and the drivers for wifi.

Check this h**p://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3812164&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3768152

Obviously change the h**p to http

Last edited:
Linny, try booting into safe mode with networking to test out the wifi.
I think you know how to get those options up?
Press the F4 F6 F8 so on on startup, a list of options will appear, one being safe mode with networking.
Have any of them even checked device manager to see if the wireless card is enabled?

If it doesnt work there i would start it up fresh again, get a decent antivirus installed AND UPDATED like MSE and Malwarebytes, updated also!
Restart into normal safe mode (not the networking one) and do a full scan with Malwarebytes first, restart into safe mode when finshed and do a full scan with MSE and we'll go from there.

Linny, try booting into safe mode with networking to test out the wifi.
I think you know how to get those options up?

Yes i probably do but forgotten lol!
Press the F4 F6 F8 so on on startup, a list of options will appear, one being safe mode with networking.
Have any of them even checked device manager to see if the wireless card is enabled? Probably not. I wasnt here when she rang vm

If it doesnt work there i would start it up fresh again, get a decent antivirus installed AND UPDATED like MSE and Malwarebytes, updated also!Shes got avg 2012 which she managed to dld via ethernet connection to my supahub.

Restart into normal safe mode (not the networking one) and do a full scan with Malwarebytes first, restart into safe mode when finshed and do a full scan with MSE and we'll go from there.
But yes when i can get a charger im going to put MWB on and do that.not sure if shes got MSE - she might have the older version, so i can update it to MSE

She has lost her charger and says its broken anyways so going to look on sites for a universal charger.
Its been a long time since ive had to dabble with a pc and when its not mine i dont want to make it any worse, but she cant afford to take it to a shop to be repaired - especially when i know i can get help from you guys! Id rather put my money into this site than some shop! At least i know the info on here is trustworthy

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Check this h**p://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3812164&lang=en&cc=u s&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=376815 2
couldnt get that to come up " we are sorry the page requested cannot be found "

ordered a new charger from amazon so gotta wait for tat to turn up in the next couple of days !

Last edited:
Got the charger this morning. installed MWB it found 7 virus/trojans. - didnt do it in safemode. Its got no internet connection atm.
I am currently running recovery manager to do her a set of rescue disks. Will then backup all her files and what ever i can to my harddrive.
Now is it best to do a complete system backup or just backup all her files etc if i am doing a set or recovery disks. I have got a copy of MWB MSE and other antivirus stuff on a pen drive. Problem is the programme files she has can i copy those over or will she need the hard disks to reload them. Ive got office 2007 But its things like her talk talk programme - not sure if shes got a disk for that and Epson etc

Plus all her music thats in itunes that she has uploaded either via some site or by adding to pc - will all that save?

They are on holiday atm which is why i thought id try n get this sorted b4 they come back.

Last edited:
If you want to re-install Windows Vista onto the laptop then it'll be good to backup her files only. If your going to make a complete system backup of an infected Operating System then you'll only bring it back in the future if you restore from that image.

She will need to re-install all programs again, so any installation files on there you can copy over to a USB Drive so you can use it to re-install third party programs once you've re-installed Windows Vista through the recovery disks. Since you are using the recovery disks there shouldn't be any issues with drivers and any manufacturer installed software such as power management. They should automatically be restored once the recovery process is complete.

If you want to backup the drivers anyway for safe keeping then use this program posted by Gman:

http://www.techkings.org/useful-free-applications/24019-double-driver.html

She will need the talk talk CD in order for the laptop to be configured to the router.
(I remember trying to get a talk talk router to communicate with a PC that had its OS re-installed and it was nothing but a nightmare until I found the talk talk CD which practically did all the work).

As for iTunes, I do not own any Apple products so havent had the need to use it, but if you can go into her "My Music" folder and copy all the music files to an external drive or USB drive then iTunes shoudn't have any problems loading these mp3's after the re-install.

The point in booting into safemode with networking was to see would the wireless connection work at all...

Reinstalling everything is probably overkill but if your comfortable doing so fire away, make sure you know where to find the appropriate drivers as when you reinstall the wireless card wont work until you install the drivers again leaving you right where you are at this moment :)

Right ok. Have not done a reinstall. It took all day to copy the recovery disks - have no idea why as there were only 2 of them. But i had installed all updates for drivers, done the MB and hey presto wireless now works. The MWB did find almost 3000 problems.

So, so far so good laptop is working but is still very slow. Have decided against a reinstall until they come back but will back up all her files on my hard drive, so at least if anything goes wrong shes got a back up.

Its still very slow and windows explorer often says not responding and takes time to open any page. It is painfully slow for almost anything you try and do. IM going to defrag and do some other repairs like disk cleanup see if that makes any difference.
Anything else i can do to try and speed it up a bit. I know its only got 1 gb RAM which probably doesnt help, but surely it should be going faster that it is. C drive is 102 GB ( 52.9gb free) presario is 8.83GB ( 1.68 gb free) - so a very small laptop the presario seems to just hold the recovery disks

The biggest problem linny is that its running Vista.
1 gig should be enough,check startup for programs not needed.
Defrag and ccleaner.

HTC Desire S~Tapatalk

yes plus it is very small. When they get back will enquire how much more memory is. i know she has space for another gig. Ive managed to get avg pc tuneup free trial for 24 hrs - then found aa key so doing that every day. so far its now all looking clean and not 1/2 as slow as it was. ive defraged via pctune up and via the laptop windows. but on vista it doesnt show you the % like it does on windows 7. Problem is windows 7 is expensive and probably too big to go on that small laptop. As shes only had it 2-3 yrs cant see father xmas getting her a new one :( - she used my sons pc more these days.
Was also told by the pc shop that coz we added fb as her home page that was what caused all her problems and all the viruses that apparently she has - but whne i told him we had only just changed it the other day - he still said thats what would have caused the problem. Personally i think its that drivers were out of date. I downloaded all drivers i could find for her make of laptop. He also wanted to charge £44 if i remember to put anti virus progs on lol! - god we both might be blonde - but i aint that gullible lol!
For some reason windows did block Malewarebytes- but i sorted that! It starts up with some type of notepad - but will wait till they get the weekend to see if she really needs that to start!.

ive done various checks with avg pc tune up and its saying would be best to upgrade memory by 1 gb - which i know there is room for. is it easy to do as ive seen one on amazon for around £12 suppose i have to make sure its compatible with her notebook. will more memory speed up the laptop

Back