PS3 Media server help!!!

Has anyone had any problems with the PS3 media server.

I have downloaded it plus the java program but the server wont pick up the PS3.

I tried turning of the firewall, this worked a little as the PS3 found the server off the PC but it still wouldn't find the PS3 on the server so I couldn't get any of my films to play.

I've done this before on my sons PS3 and after a few problems I got there in the end but I cant do it on this one.

I've gone through all the steps of what your supposed to do but there must be something I haven't picked up on to make them find each other, maybe a setting on the PS3 or something, I just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After you turn the media server on, have you went back to the PS3 under the video tab and clicked the scan for media servers button? Are all network settings working on the PS3 (does it connect to the internet ok)?

The firmware was the latest firmware as we did an update 1st thing, the internet connection is ok as the pc and PS3 are finding each other, its just the media server to pc and vice versa which is the problem.

Yes, I have scanned the PS3 for the media server but the PS3 doesnt find the server until I turn the firewall off on the PC.

Just getting cheesed off as I only need the media server to connect the PS3 thats all.

Yes, I have scanned the PS3 for the media server but the PS3 doesnt find the server until I turn the firewall off on the PC.

Sounds like it is an issue with your firewall then. Check and be sure it is not blocking any Java items.

Hiya mate, thanks for your reply. But I'm quite thick when it comes to stuff like this. How would I check the firewall for just certain things. I only know how to turn it off completely in the control panel.

This might help HERE
you can access your router by typing in the address on the bottom of it on the label,check your upnp and also adjust the firwall settings there

So as we are all on the same page, when you say that you disable your firewall and then the media server functions properly, were you referring to the Windows firewall or the firewall for your router? I assume since you said control panel you meant windows? Anyway I am gonna have to cheat a little as I am without home internet for the moment, and give you a link to get you started on adjusting the windows firewall.
Code:
http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/515977-how-configure-windows-firewall-windows-7-a.html

Hiya mate, yes I think it is just the windows firewall. I don't know anything or how I would do the router one anyway.

And when I said it only finds the media when the firewall is off, yes it does but it doesn't function properly, the PS3 will find the server but the server won't find the PS3. On the server on the PC, it doesn't show the PS3, just a big X. And as for the PS3, the server doesn't show any films. Really only windows files.

I had set the settings in the server to show the folders I wanted too.

So in all honesty, my head is still battered.

Dont give up just yet,to access your router you will have a series of numbers for example on mine 192.168.*.***,your password should also be there.
You type those numbers into your browser and enter the password when asked,you should be in your router then,just make sure your upnp is on and adjust your firewall here also,dont mess with too much more if your not fully sure of what your doing

Back