Satellite Questions about H7S

evh5150

I'm looking to upgrade my Star 2S and am considering the H2S and H7S. Obviously the H7S is higher spec, but it is twice as expensive as the H2S.

I use the Star 2S for free-to-air from a dish as well as IPTV. I record from both sources.

Anyway, reading the various H7S threads here, there a couple of things I don't understand:

- @Willo3092 states in one thread that "you need 2 feeds for the twin cable tuners."
- @BeakyFord states in the same that "these 4k ARM7boxes require a slightly different setup (setting up oscam was new to me)"

I'm well enough versed in flashing @wooshman Wooshbuild for the Star 2S. Is it not as simple with the H7S?

Appreciate answers or any thoughts on the H7S, or indeed if I should just go for the happy medium of the H2S.

Last edited:
I think @Willo3092 comment is referring to the H7C, the twin tuner sat boxes normally have two sky feeds going in, twin cable tuner boxes normally just need the one feed going into the box, the H7C needs two cable feeds.

Wooshbuild is available for the H7S so setting up will be similar to what you are used to. Wooshbuild is set up by default for freesat so I don't know if it has the softcams installed but it's not difficult to install them. The H7 uses oscam instead of mgcamd or cccam. There is plenty of advice on here how to set up oscam.

I think @Willo3092 comment is referring to the H7C, the twin tuner sat boxes normally have two sky feeds going in, twin cable tuner boxes normally just need the one feed going into the box, the H7C needs two cable feeds.

Wooshbuild is available for the H7S so setting up will be similar to what you are used to. Wooshbuild is set up by default for freesat so I don't know if it has the softcams installed but it's not difficult to install them. The H7 uses oscam instead of mgcamd or cccam. There is plenty of advice on here how to set up oscam.
Thanks. I've not had to worry about the softcams before. It was just plug in the two Sly feeds for free-to-air, with Xtream Editor configured for my IPTV, and run through the on-screen setup.

Presumably since I'm only using free-to-air satellite and my IPTV provider (which uses Xtream Editor), I don't have to worry about cccam/oscam?

Zgemma H2s boxes are fine for IPTV and satt,used lots of them.H7 does look good though.
My Star 2S is reasonable for watching and recording IPTV, but sometimes even plugins like E2 Speedtest crash it, and any form of catchup/VOD is a nightmare (the same service is very good on Android, for example, but I can't record on that.)

Someone else on the forum (forgive me, I forget who) said you'll only seen the difference in RAM and processor when the H7S is booting up.

Someone else on the forum (forgive me, I forget who) said you'll only seen the difference in RAM and processor when the H7S is booting up.

I think it might have been @siilver but I think he was referring to the difference between a H7 and H5.
There will be a world of difference between a H7 and a 2S.

I think it might have been @siilver but I think he was referring to the difference between a H7 and H5.
There will be a world of difference between a H7 and a 2S.
In that case, now to decide if it's £60's worth of difference between the H7S and the H2S! I am tempted to future-proof, as much as you can with how things change rapidly.

I think I said that at one stage

Flipping channels you don’t see it

As I said before if it was me and I was doing it again I would have went for a cheaper box, the difference is worth it

Oh the h2s is so slow now, once the most popular lol

If you want twin sat tuners and Wooshbuild and a faster box then the options are H5.2S or H.7S.
The advantage of the H7 is that it's faster and takes an internal HDD.
As @siilver said you will only really notice the speed difference in booting up.
H5 is only £75.

If you want twin sat tuners and Wooshbuild and a faster box then the options are H5.2S or H.7S.
The advantage of the H7 is that it's faster and takes an internal HDD.
As @siilver said you will only really notice the speed difference in booting up.
H5 is only £75.
And that one is in stock with @zgemma-uk, unlike the H7S.

The internal HDD ability doesn't interest me, so I'd be looking for at H7S for the improved user experience. Is the H7S a big improvement over the H2S, which people still seem to like?

Just when you think you have it all worked out. :grin:

The H.2S was a big jump from the 2S in its day but it doesn't really figure in anyone's plans for future proofing these days.
I wouldn't even consider the H.2S. H5 or H7 imho.

The H.2S was a big jump from the 2S in its day but it doesn't really figure in anyone's plans for future proofing these days.
I wouldn't even consider the H.2S. H5 or H7 imho.
Given that I need twin sat tuners (for recording) and IPTV ability through Xtream Editor, what would you recommend as best value for money towards the top end? I'm not an expert but I've become used to navigating OpenATV and Wooshbuild, and there's lots of support here for them.

H.7S was as rare as hen's teeth until recently when the sponsor started selling them. Are they getting any more?
Most people want the H.7C for 2 cable tuners. Personally I would go for the H5.
I've got a H5.2S+ and it's a good box, would recommend it.

H.7S was as rare as hen's teeth until recently when the sponsor started selling them. Are they getting any more?
Most people want the H.7C for 2 cable tuners. Personally I would go for the H5.
I've got a H5.2S+ and it's a good box, would recommend it.
Much obliged.

I'm pondering an upgrade from an H.2S to either an H5.2S or H7S.

Initially I wrote off the 5 because it has the same processor and memory as the 2 - the only difference I could see on zgemma.co.uk is that the 5 can decode H.265 video?

The 7 has a faster processor and more memory, which makes sense 'cos the 7 can handle 4K but the 2 and 5 are 1080p.

But now, peeps who know more than me about these things have said otherwise :(

I haven't tried either the 5 or the 7 in real life - am I missing something?

The h7c is my main box

Pros of it

Gigabit contection - transferring files is nice, but I don’t really need it, I can wait a few more mins
4K - I have a few channels on 19 and 13 sat but nothing you can really watch, more advertising
Internal hdd - doesn’t do it for me really, I happy with a bus powered hdd, never let me down on the h2s

Cons
The big bright ass logo on the front advertising air digital, no thanks, had to pull the box apart to fix that
The remote as default was well bad, might just have been my box, but when I had the box pulled I got it better, not great but better
The flashing, no able to flash my backup from usb, took me a while to get used to that, specially when you can’t boot in. You have to flash stock then, local flash yours.

2 h5.2tc would been good enough for me and would have cost me at the time the price of one h7c

Back