Windows XP re installing Xp on pc

nimbers

stumbled accross this section of the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me fix my Pc, my problem is that windows crashed and after reinstalling windows xp i'm now getting 1 off to screens on boot up either a dark blue screen telling me to restart or a light blue screen saying must check disks etc bad clusters and it supposedly resolves this but just keeps rebooting. I've tried rebooting and re installing the windows several occasions with same result etc occasionally i do get on but then get memory full etc yet when look at partitions on hard drive they pretty much empty

Thanks in advance

dan-ger-ous how do i find out what spec it is ??? this is the info that i can find its compaq rf787aa but i assume thats not the spec thats the model number

I think if you go into control panel then system info. This will have the information as to what memory, CPU speed and hdd installed.

morashid thanks for the info but i cant get onto my control panel as the windows is not installed and thats what i'm having problems with re installing the windows. If i use one of the function keys when i boot up can i get my spec from there ie f5 or f8 etc??

Have you made sure that you have properly formatted the system? (NTFS quick format) before re-installing the operating system?

The last part is a little suprising, if I were to give my opinion on this I think the drive might beginning to struggling if you've had this PC for a while?

yeah i've tried that dan-ger-ous i've also tried the none quick method that takes ages lol, to be honest i think it might have had its day but rather than bin it i just thought i'd ask the qustion anyways thanks for your help

When you go to reinstall again try deleting the partition and then once that's done, format it again and see if that helps.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

I have eventually managed to get windows xp installed back onto the pc but now the windows key/serial sticker on side of the towr i've got isn't working and saying that i have to activate within the next 30 days does any one have any suggestions how i get this code to work again??? I'm also getting cycle redundancy error 50% off time when trying to install programs back onto the pc any help please

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

When you go to reinstall again try deleting the partition and then once that's done, format it again and see if that helps.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Thanks for that axxxo that seemed to do the trick after a few attempts

Last edited:
nimbers try opening a command window by pressing the windows key and R, once opened type cmd and press enter. A new window will open. In this window type chkdsk /f and press enter.
It will probably say do you want to check for errors the next time you restart, click yes and restart.
This may fix the errors on your hard drive but as you were having problems installing in the first place i would believe that you need to replace the hard drive.

The version of XP you have installed does not match the serial you have entered.
Try installing a different version of xp or use google on how to activate it by other means :)

thanks for that axxxo, i'll try it over the weekend and let you know how i get on, hopefully its a easy fix if need a new hard drive i'll probably just skip it as it was only for spare.

Back