Recommend storage needed for recording?

Bainze

HI,

Finally purchased my h2s! On way tomorrow, I'm looking for a usb to record, do programs take as much space?

What would be recommend minimum and what would you recommend buying for every day??

Also is it possible to connect a NAS drive to it I have a synology ds215j with 1tb hdd so can i connect it to this and record to this hard drive.. and then also access on my computer if needed?

many thanks!!

I've found that an hour of SD takes about 2gb-3gb and an hour of HD takes about 4gb-5gb

---------- Post Merged at 09:21 AM ----------

I believe you can record to your NAS over the network this morning.

I recorded the boxing the other week on ssp1 hd was on for a few hours and took 25gb as you have the h2s you wont have acces to that many hd channels so 1tb is more than enough mate. As for the nas drive am sure i seen someone saying they use it am sure it was free uk maybe ask him about it mate.

I've got a humax and upgraded it to 2tb. Never used more than half of it. My h2s has a 250gb disk. Had it for 2 weeks and filled half of it. I'd recommend at least 1tb, but it depends on individual usage. Also getting a 32gb micro sd card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 500gb seagate and find it plenty for what I record, at the end of the day it all depends on how much you plan to record and keep stored.

Using a Samsung 1tb external drive, 42 quid from amazon. Works a treat!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi does the hard drive not have to be externally powered and not via the usb? Thought I'd seen that said on a previous post somewhere? Also does it matter what version of usb is used? Most now are 3.0 but i was lead to believe the sat boxes are 2.0.
If I'm wrong sorry to hijack the post I was looking myself and was going to ask the same question.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

There seems to be a bit of divided opinion on if the hdd should be externally powered or can be used usb powered, I for one have used it usb powered with no issues and have yet to read of anyone else's boxes USB port being burned out by powering the hdd this way.

Hi does the hard drive not have to be externally powered and not via the usb? Thought I'd seen that said on a previous post somewhere? Also does it matter what version of usb is used? Most now are 3.0 but i was lead to believe the sat boxes are 2.0.
If I'm wrong sorry to hijack the post I was looking myself and was going to ask the same question.

Nope, no external power required. Could use a usb stick if you wanted.
Doesn't matter what version you use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cool thanks for the quick reply will be purchasing both box and hdd soon. Looking forward to getting it all up and running.

The reason people say externally powered is that in the past people have reported usb port being burnt out after long term use with usb powered drives although ive never encountered.
But with the availability of such drives being so lax these days its becoming necessary to use the usb3 portable drives and they work just fine

Back