Recover Dead Openbox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

I had common LOAD problem after channel update and finally managed to flash my V8s openbox by using the correct firmware. The correct download for me was no.81 from the yojiatech website (using the same eromupgrade tool).

I can't link due to posts but just google yojiatech downloads.

Massive thanks to Reaper for heads up from another thread.

I tried using the USB adapter for laptop but didn't connect properly, was very cheap off ebay.

In the end I just used the null modem cable in a proper PC and with correct firmware it worked first time.

Good luck to all, very frustrating.

I updated the channel list on my openbox S11 and unfortunately it resulted in a boot loop / soft brick. I'm hoping to flash it using a USB to Serial cable but as I could only find male cables I've had to buy a female adapter (As the box is male). Sadly I've read that many of these cables don't work so I've bought one of the more expensive ones that says DB9 - fingers crossed

Hi
I think the image in downloads is the incorrect one.
Follow wozza79,s instructions on how to get the correct image first.!
laserguy100

Hi
I think the image in downloads is the incorrect one.
Follow wozza79,s instructions on how to get the correct image first.!
laserguy100

Thanks, really appreciate the advice. I've downloaded a file from that site but I'm unsure which file to select from the list as there are quite a few .abs files in the erom upgrade folder. I'm trying to reach flash an openbox S11 HD PVR. Any advice?

---------- Post Merged at 10:33 PM ----------

I selected eromclient.abs and got the "Wrong File" message. Little confused sorry for being a total noob

Hi
Wozza79 says in his post its number 81 for Openbox v8s..then follow the first post in this thread on what to select to flash your box. But im unsure about an Openbox S11. It may be a different image for that box.If it won.t flash with a Openbox V8s then look for an S11 image.
Im not familiar with the S11 box. But follow steps on first post of this thread..except get image from wozza79.s post..its image 81 for V8s.
laserguy100

---------- Post Merged at 11:30 PM ----------

http://www.yojiatech.com/index.php?route=module/download
Select download 81for V8S and follow steps on 1st post in this thread ignoring the image download..and following the above url to get V8S image. Hope that makes sense.
laserguy100

Hi, I'm also having similar issue, OpenBox V8S stuck on e001. I'm trying to download the correct erom and flash. Please help!!!

i have 2 boxes both with the same problem how do you fix them or are mine clones
when i use the upgrade tool recover skybox stuck on load it says synchronizing STBS please reset target but i get opening serial port failed how to i get my serial port open , iv have the rs232 cable hooked up to my old desktop on xp open the upgrade tool put in the .abs files then i get opening serial port is failed how do i open it , tearing my hair out at this stage need help badly

---------- Post Merged at 09:23 PM ----------

i have 2 openbox v8s both scrambled did a reflash and got stuck at com port failed tried different port and went to the next step but no done message in top right corner of upgrade box every time i cancelled it a box came up with a message downloading are you sure you want to cancel, download went on for ever and i canceled semms it wont progress untill the done signal appears in the top right corner of upgrade box any ideas

I have done this a few times years ago, but cant find a decent cable converter to do it, as most modern computers don't have the right connection

good afternoon folks , my friends open box channels pay for view are now scrambled the guy who supplied it is now looking money to get them back i.e. sport and films etc. is there a way to do it your self. thanks. this is a new thing for me and her ..

Hi guys.

Newbie here...a very frustrated one! I have an openbox V8s which is stuck on LOAD and for the last week I have tried to reflash it with a number of different erom upgrade links and none work. I am using a windows 7 laptop and brought a RS232 serial to USB of eBay. Windows automatically installed the cable ( it says USB 2.0 to serial) in device manager. I then have followed all the instructions given on various sites and nothing works. It does not say DONE when I have plugged the box into the power supply when prompted. What am I doing wrong. Please can someone go through step by step instructions for me and give me links to the correct erom upgrade and tools that are required

Hi Guys,

having a few problems with udating/changing the firmware on my v8s, basically I deleted pretty much everything off the box a couple of month back (highlighted everything on factory reset) my box works fine after this apart from upgrade by network which brings up a page with Protocol, URL Type, URL, User, Password on! I've tried tried updating firmware as I've done on many boxes easily enough but my box says 'Hardware Mismatch'?

I don't have a pc/laptop with Null Modem port so I cant go down that route?

Any Ideas?

Attach null modem cable to pc and box.
Open erom upgrade tool.{settings are usually already there]
Browse to file you wish to use.Open file and it will appear beneath upgrade. Tick bootloader.
Click next and new screen page will appear----power on box and the word "done" will appear at top right.
If com ports are correct then next screen for upgrade flash and burn will pop up---follow instructions to complete.
[If you get error message on second screen after power on then power off, click back and retry with different timings until it works]
Reaper.

Hey
Reaper I managed to succesfully reflash a box :grin: does this mean now the firmware is upgraded channel lists will update automatically?

I am trying to recover my dead box with a Mac but It does not seem to be able to work as the software is for windows. Is there one for Mac?.....HELP PLEASE

Open erom upgrade tool.{settings are usually already there]
Browse to file you wish to use.Open file and it will appear beneath upgrade. Tick bootloader.
Click next and new screen page will appear----power on box and the word "done" will appear at top right.
If com ports are correct then next screen for upgrade flash and burn will pop up---follow instructions to complete.
My box v8s with stuck at load. i am apply to flash through the above instruction when burn process complete still box doesn't work. i got my box backup. i burnt that backup and tried backup that comes with the software. process complete successfully but still box not working. any help plzzzzzz

Back