Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

I'm off to Scan for a 9 Pin Serial Male to 10 Pin Motherboard Header so I can try to recover my dead f5. It appears dead when I plug it in but the LAN port led lights up when I plug an Ethernet cable into it. I'm really hoping I can recover the box. I bought it as FAULTY from ebay as a bit of a gamble. I'll keep you updated later on if I can get my box up and running again. :)

Ok. I reflashed my F5 with the null cable, following the techkings instructions and it worked first time :) Very happy. A brand new F5 from ebay sold as faulty for 20 quid all fixed.

hi all im trying to reflash f3 as some1 as put a pin on and can`t do anything im trying to reflash with rs232 cable but keep getting this message synchronizing STB... please rest target any no wot im doing wrong as port is correct but nothing happening thanks for any help

Do not use this firmware on original boxes,

I have downloaded this firmware upgrade for the skybox F3 and F4 please note that this firmware is for non-original skyboxes if you are in doubt then please do not use.
I have also included the RS232 null modem upgrade tool, again use this at your own risk.

1. First file is for Skybox F4
2. First file is for Skybox F3
3. First file is for RS232 upgrade tool

Do not use this firmware on original boxes, it don't work.

Hello ,

I tried all the files listed here, no luck , same problem always will stay loading up to L095.

When trying to upgrade stb memory error.

how can I know if this one is clone or original_

i need a winrar or zip can i get this here thanks

---------- Post Merged at 05:32 PM ----------

hi gto all members from dansatman

Bootloader ?
whats is this and where can i find it if its needed ?
Just getting the error set stb memory error
Any help much appreciated

link for loader for clone boxes seems to be unavailable at the moment i managed to find it through googling erom_upgrade_8Mflash and downloaded it from 2shared and it seemed to work to recover an F3 box from dead no errors on display on sign of life was green light for LAN cable.

Issues i found where what files to use where and here is what worked for me.

run the EromUpgrade program
first i used the file called sb.abs and had to select include bootloader
once then this loaded i got some life back to box after reboot however it only loaded to L093
I then downloaded latest file from march and proceeded to run the installer again without bootloader selected and it loaded up latest firmware

box now working for my customer left him to reload the Cline etc as box was completely blank as fully expected

hope process can be clarified and files found to be downloaded and readded to the site to assist further.

Cheers for that..somehow mainly through luck managed to get box back working...
Only thing is the update file has only left me with two sats two choose from to search
Is there a file with updated sats and freq to load into box at all..
And noticed keys file is guess this is softkeys

Thanks for you help with above question

The one I used was just a standard cable cable came as it was never had to make any modifications.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Skybox F5 E001 Error Code

Just got the F5 Skybox and stupidly flashed the wrong .img file to it. Going to try the Null modem retrieval method posted here and see if it revives it ...fingers crossed..... :)

One other thing to ensure is checked after a succesfull reflash is to ensure you switch back on the DHCP otherwise it will likely fail to pick internet and therefore not going to allow cline to work.

After several attempts at DUMPING the eeprom and trying several variations of reloading using :-

erom_upgrade_8Mflash.....as the flash tool

3601HD_Backup.abs ( taken from a friends box )
SKYBOX_3601HD_CMT_130327079B.abs
SKYBOX F5 F3 M3_3601HD_CMT_130327079B.abs

DUMPING the eeprom before each try, nothing seems to work.

It still goes back to the old problem of on the boot sequence reaching 093 then pausing then displaying E001...
Got another RS232 Null Modem lead coming in the post to see if that will make any difference.....

Any of you guys out there had a similar problem and managed to recover it ?

Many thanks in advance..... :)

HI all, I Have a F5 in 093 Bootloop then displaying E001. I have the Flasher and Null modem lead and have tried various ims files but to no avail. Looking for a link to or for the SB.abs file if anyone can help, please PM me....Thank you

Once I loaded the sb.abs file using include bootloader I then used the latest file from downloads and installed it through same method as sb.abs using eprom loader. This was the only thing that corrected the error up until that point I was getting the error on LCD but I still followed the process.

Back