Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

Thank the Lord !! Managed to get hold of SB.abs and just flashed that onto the box....ALL is well with the world....Success !! one F5 box recovered and fully operational again... I can now dispose of my old chunky SKY receiver and replace it with this nice slick box.....its been a long road but I have learned lessons along the way.....Good luck to all with the dreaded E001 error code.. :)

i have the uggrade program and when i run it after it boots up skybox f5 it still comes up with e001 ?

---------- Post Merged at 09:36 PM ----------

Do you think it could be a clone ?

---------- Post Merged at 09:39 PM ----------

Do you think it could be a clone ?

---------- Post Merged at 09:47 PM ----------

i tryed flashing my skybox and after reboot it still comes up with e001 can any body help plz

There is some information in these threads for checking if clone box or not. I have seen the process listed on this site for the check. I used:

0000 erom_upgrade_8Mflash - flash tool
SB.abs - recovery image
D Type 9 pin Female to female lead

and from the initial fault of booting to 093 pausing then displaying E001 - these items fixed the problem.

when using the Flash Tool try changing from UPGRADE to DUMP firmware first to clear out the box then UPGRADE, and I also TICKED include Bootloader

let us know how it goes :)

After several attempts at DUMPING the eeprom and trying several variations of reloading using :-

erom_upgrade_8Mflash.....as the flash tool

3601HD_Backup.abs ( taken from a friends box )
SKYBOX_3601HD_CMT_130327079B.abs
SKYBOX F5 F3 M3_3601HD_CMT_130327079B.abs

DUMPING the eeprom before each try, nothing seems to work.

It still goes back to the old problem of on the boot sequence reaching 093 then pausing then displaying E001...
Got another RS232 Null Modem lead coming in the post to see if that will make any difference.....

Any of you guys out there had a similar problem and managed to recover it ?

Many thanks in advance..... :)

Womblefree, did you manage to get anywhere with your box as i have the exact same problem, I ordered a new null modem cable to see if that was my problem but will post the results if any.

will this work with[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS][/FONT]USB to RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable COM DB 9 Pin Lead? I only have laptop and it doesn`t have the rs232.

yes it will it has RS232 on the back it will work on all openboxes

hi mate, i have downloaded this file many times, each time from a different site, each time that i attempt to open it i get a dilouge box with the following message inside, this file is either unknown or damaged, where am i going wrong, i have been using an old lappy running xp pro, later i will download again using my netbook running windows7, i will post my results later on.

Last edited:
Guys,

I have F3 that loads to 0093 and then shows E001, i have followed the instructions above and when trying to load the SB file the screen says done beside the Synchronzing STB's but at the bottom of the loader it comes up with Set STB Memory error, click back to try again, any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

There are posts in here that advise on this and it is due to being clone and you will need the other loader links and stuff posted in and around people's comments have a look can't mind off top of my head.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

The SB.abs file from here in the download section fixed my problem of Booting to 093 then pausing then displaying E001.

The SB .abs I used is here:- Skybox F3 E001 Fix - Downloads - TechKings

I tried various firmwares using the RS232 method and this file sorted it in 10 minutes.....

If you only have a laptop, stick the files onto a flash drive and do it from a friends tower with RS232. It should be sorted as long its not a clone as barryboom mentions.

Google identifying the clone F5 Skybox, it is out there honest, I have seen the method and listings of IDs but it did not interest me at the time.

I am away for a week but on my return, if you still have no luck, I will hunt down that list and re-post here.

Good Luck............. :)

---------- Post Merged at 12:34 PM ----------

I borrowed this file from somewhere else and just tweaked it to my needs, in case of future use.....as days of messing about. this worked for me .

Hope it helps:-

==============================
Hello everyone, I recently tried to upgrade the firmware on my f5 using the usb method but when it finished flashing the box would not boot up.
It would load to 93 and come up with E001 error.

I've looked everywhere for a fix and tried so many firmwares and programs to bring my box back to life!

FINALLY after trying various .abs files and different programs , my skybox f5 is finally fully working!

The following is a step by step solution. You will need a RS232 null modem cable Female to Female D-Type 9 pin, ( Amazon £2.30 ish )
and the following downloads: which I have collected into a folder as a complete solution.

*** eromupgrade In Folder
*** firmware - Skybox F3 E001 Fix - SB.abs In Folder

Now you have whats required lets begin to fix your broken skybox f5!

01.extract the file erom_upgrade_8Mflash wherever you want and open the folder. Also extract the firmware file SB.abs ( Already DONE in Folder )
02.Open the application EromUpgrade.exe
03.Select the port your null modem cable is connected to. (if you dont know which port, open device manager on windows and scroll down to ports and here you will see something like COM1 for example)
04.Select bitrate: 115200 and Parity: Even
05.Select Operate Mode: Upgrade ( Tick ......include BootLoader )
06.Now in File or browse from the box next to the loaction box, Click browse and select the extracted file SB.abs from the Folder
07.Connect the null modem cable to your skybox, and Unplug the power supply from the F5 Box
08.Click on NEXT and you should now see ......................."Please reset target."
09.Connect the power supply to the F5 and the firmware will start downloading. If it hangs for few minutes you can cancel the download and start again. Keep trying till it gets to 100%.
10.After it is downloaded click NEXT to burn the firmware.

( basically. the first Next loads the firmware into memory and the other NEXT Burns it or Flashs it to the Skybox. )

Once this is completed, press FINISH, and the Sky Box will Auto Boot Load, hopefully to L100 you should have your skybox back to life!

Hope this helps everyone with this issue.

---------- Post Merged at 12:51 PM ----------

My F5 is now in working order and back to the condition I received it in, when new,, Except that I have changed to AJs channel list as the TP.Prog channel list....Thank You AJ... :) Happy flashing Gents and Good luck.....Do not give up, I was at that stage and then I fixed it, it is Fixable....... :)

---------- Post Merged at 12:54 PM ----------

I except to log on in a week and see ALL you guys have resolved the problem, if not we can look at it some more......Happy Hunting :)

Hi,
Appreciate on anybody help to recover my dead F5 skybox (stuck at LoAd). Try the above method and result shows Set stb memory error, Click "Back" to try again.
Thanks.

Take some time and read through the thread everything you need including advice as to how to overcome the error you advised is already there and explanations as to why this may have occurred links to the additional failes that you will require as well.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry ... my bad. Shall read though the thread and going to try again once have all the information.

Any of the above managed to recover their Sky Boxes, I you have , POST a reply so people know they have a solution from here that works....Good Luck guys :)

Just in case anyone was concerned about null modem cable "handshaking", the openbox/skybox RS232 connector only has pins 2, 3, & 5 connected. So handshaking cables are not required. Although I would imagine that unless stated otherwise, most null modem cables are fully wired.

Dead Skybox F5 after 2 weeks of usage

Did some scanning and then it frozze on a blind scan i plugged the power out, then it went dead, i bougth my box from china via ebay.

I Wonder if this is a common thing among other F5 boxes? I will download F3 E001 fix and then start looking for a RS-232 cable.

could do with some info if poss, sorry for the noob questions but i'm abit new to this :0

I've got an E001 error on my skybox f5 and i've downloaded the erom upgrade program and the SB.abs file but i dont know what com port i'm connected to lol, i'm running Windows 7 and i'm using a USB to rs232 null cable if that makes a difference??? i've got it hooked up but can't see it in Device Manager??

I'd be gratefull for any help you can offer,

hi i have an f3 box have tried flashing it with lots of firmwares but still getting the 93% 95% 97% bootloop can anyone help please as its wrecking my head

Back