Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

tried all the above,
got a serial port for my motherboard off ebay, (the rs232 to usb convertor i got off ebay was usless) beware of cheap crap!
still got a dead F3 box, i will have to get the multimeter out and check the Main board out, also got an openbox s11 with the same problem both boxes flashed ok via the serial port, but both are still dead, the power board on both devices check out ok, anybody got any info on this please ?

I have had boxes in the past that would't flash through the serial port. Like yours, the PSU was ok. Sometimes it comes down to a fault on the main board. I just kept those ones for spares. I feel it's just not worth the time & effort to fault-find the main board on such a cheap box. The PSU is easy to fault find, but I just cannot be bothered with main board faults.

Hi everyone
I was doing a blind scan on my f5 and it froze and stupidly never backed anything up(Big Mistake).I couldn't turn it off by the remote so i plugged it out and all i got was little red led on the screen.After hours of trawling through the forum and trying to find out if it was a clone or not (it is btw) i finally got the right firmware.Hope this helps anyone with same issue.

View attachment SKYBOX_F5_20130501.zip

I too have bricked my F3 one minute it was doing a sat scan and the next it froze so i had to switch it off.
Since then its had no display and seems dead as the dodo.
I have tried multiple erom upgrade files and .abs to no prevail.

Any help is much appreciated

---------- Post Merged at 12:14 AM ----------

Please note.
I have no idea if the box is a clone as now i cant check but there must be some life in the box as the ethernet port flashes.

Thanks again

Thank you cactikid a wil try again

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ----------

Hi cactlkid
I gave that a try I am now getting set stb memory error
I was that keen as soon as I got your reply I had to give it a go Thanks for your help

RS232 null modem cable which could render their boxes unusable.

is this why the m3 only uses 3 wires 2-3 3-2 5-5 why will it need a 9 pin full handshaking null modem lead

No Openbox/Skybox needs a full handshaking null modem lead. All boxes only use pins 2, 3, & 5.

Most null modem leads that are sold are wired for handshaking anyway, but the extra connections are not used by these boxes.

Back