Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I've got a Skybox F3 here that's boot looping (counts up to 100 and starts again)

I've got a cable I think has been recommended here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222267094188 and I can't for the life of me get it to synchronise and say done. I've tried 3 different EROM tools, for the F3, the F3S and the 8M flash one. A few different firmwares (although I think if the firmware was wrong it would still sync and say done)

I'm definitely on the right com port in device manager, I've tried a different USB port (which changed the COM port so updated that) and I've adjusted the counters as per the original post. Any ideas anyone? When I power it on it just starts boot looping again. Could it be a faulty cable?

Success

So I bought
Null Modem Cable - Lead RS232 DB9 9 pin FEMALE TO FEMALE
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200899712238?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And the firmware was flashed without issue. My desktop had a serial port.

At first I flashed the sb.abs firmware but it didn't work but the 3601hd_27_03_2013_0794 worked.

Is there any other firmware thats newer than this and if so is there any point upgrading to it?

ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU NEED TO HAVE A PC WITH A SERIAL PORT AND IT WILL WORK. These USB to Serial cables are just a waste of money and time.

Would any1 be able to help me i ve an openbox v8 and its stuck on load, i am trying to find the right firmware but havn t a clue where to start thanks,

Every bit of info etc is in this thread.
Reaper.
Hi thanks for ur reply, I am trying to find the right firmware for my openbox which 1 do I use, I tryed loads of them none seen to be working I am also using a usb cable to the box it's connect to my laptop but won't download the firmware for goes as far as done and the says stp error any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Ensure you have correct RS232 null modem cable---9pin female serial to prolific usb adapter.
Then--
You need the last V8s firmware located at www.yojiatech.com
You also need the erom upgrade tool from same download site.
Reaper.

That does nothing except change gender from male to female---you must have a null modem cable not a serial cable---the wiring is totally different.
Reaper.

That does nothing except change gender from male to female---you must have a null modem cable not a serial cable---the wiring is totally different.
Reaper.
O right I get u now I am going to order 1 of these now do u have any alternative as this 1 is out of stock just want to make sure just incase I order the wrong 1 again and thanks again for ur help

Ensure you have correct RS232 null modem cable---9pin female serial to prolific usb adapter.
Then--
You need the last V8s firmware located at www.yojiatech.com
You also need the erom upgrade tool from same download site.
Reaper.
Hi which 1 is the right firmware there's loads there just to be sure and which erom tool thanks.

Back