'Rome Alone' Boy, 11, Tells Of Plane Trip

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Liam Corcoran explains how he ended up in Rome after boarding an aircraft to use the toilet.

evs-xtaccess-2012-07-26-111-a-00h00m34s23-1-522x293.jpg
Liam Corcoran boarded the plane without a passport or ticket

evs-xtaccess-2012-07-26-111-a-00h00m07s05-1-402x293.jpg
Liam's mother Mary is shocked by the breach

The "Rome alone" boy who breached security to board a flight to Italy has spoken of his adventure - and said he only wanted to use the plane's toilet.

Liam Corcoran spoke out after passing through five security checks at Manchester Airport and ending up on a Jet2.com plane bound for the Italian capital.

His mother, Mary, criticised airport staff for the blunder as a major investigation into the lapse continued.

Liam, who has learning difficulties, ran away from his mother after being told off when they were out shopping in Wythenshawe, Manchester, several miles from the airport.

Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Liam said: "I found a ticket on the floor that had the right day on it so I just sat on the bus.

"I knew it went to the airport. I love planes because of their big wings.

jet-2-b733-g-celi-1-522x293.jpg
A Jet2Go plane at Manchester Airport. Photo: Juergen Lehle (albspotter.eu)

"But I didn't want to get on one. I just wanted to go to the toilet."

Liam mingled with passengers at the airport and apparently walked through security checks without being challenged. He had no documents on him at all.

"There was a thing I had to go through and they asked me to hold out the palms of my hands," Liam told The Sun.

"I did what they asked and just carried on walking."

His mother said she was appalled at what happened.

"I was so shocked," she said.

"I just thought, how on earth can anyone let an 11-year old child board this plane with no search, not asking for passport, ID or boarding passes?

"It's beyond a joke."

Liam ended up travelling half way to Italy before the alarm was raised as passengers realised he shouldn't have been on the plane.

"He's never done anything like this before," said Ms Corcoran.

"He's only been to Blackpool to visit his dad."

Liam travelled 1365 miles to Rome on the Jet2.com plane.

Once there, he spent nearly two hours in the care of airport staff before being sent back on a return flight.

The airline and staff at the airport are treating the security breach as a serious incident and an investigation is underway. A number of staff have been suspended.

Source: Sky News

Back