Roof dome going black/brown

Hi, anyone got any experience of flat roof domes? Ours was installed when we moved in 5 years ago so I don't know hold old it is. But over recent weeks it's started going black/ discolouring badly. It's getting worse and the whole of the dome is nearly black/brown now.

I've tried cleaning it off with detergents and cloth but it doesn't seem to be coming off. Anyone got any ideas what is going on with it?

Its aged and brittle due to sun,replacement needed,more newer ones are made from glass like your double glazing but complete rebuild on roof is needed.
I have 4 with shades on.

Google images do show just the faded top bit,now to source a supplier for a price?
Yeah, need to shop around for replacement I guess. They're quite easy to replace I believe? I would put a picture up of it on here to show how bad it is but can't seem to do it on my phone

They sound like what we would call here "velux windows", no chance a replacement requires a replacement roof. Have some in the in laws house, and in recent years, they have dulled significantly, but, they are happy enough to leave them, a good vlesni3ng from roof side will help, but replacement is the ultimate best way forward.

https://www.velux.ie/products/flat-roof-windows/dome-cvp

no idea why my post was deleted but I still don't know if it's glass or perspex.
if perspex, you can order a replacement dome only, no need for replacing the roof, frame or anything else.
if glass, you can clean it, several different types of cleaner are available...a picture wouldn't go amiss, try uploading it to https://imgbb.com and posting the link here.
Don't try cleaning it with corrosive cleaners as some plastics don't take too kindly to these

Measure the outside dimensions and order a replacement, when it arrives....
there's six screws underneath those black caps, take the caps off and remove the screws and the dome, it needs replacing, that ain't gonna come clean, it's UV damage from the sun.
There'll probably be a sealant along the four edges, possibly silicone but could be something else

Back