Sagging Floorboards

lucky15

Hi

Whilst walking over a few floorboards I noticed they are "springy" and I think they need replacing. I was intending to put a very thin but strong piece of metal over the joint to stop a hole forming but think its best to pull carpet back and replace.
Question= what's the easiest way to cut out the piece of floorboard as I don't have any electric saws, would it be best to invest in one t make the job easy peasy?

If you google floorboard replacement B&Q do a guide with pics for both types of floorboard. As you only have a few to do you can get away with a hand floorboard saw cost around £5 to £10

be very careful you dont cut any pipes or cables though,
a cheapo circular saw set to about 2mm less than the depth of your floorboards is a better option, a cheap saw can be got for 30£

Those circular saws terrify me, my old man lost 2 fingers at the middle knuckle when one kicked back at him. Silly old sod had the guard locked back

Those circular saws terrify me, my old man lost 2 fingers at the middle knuckle when one kicked back at him. Silly old sod had the guard locked back
not for the faint hearted really,
need confidence and ability,
and locking a guard back is asking for trouble, with familiarity sometimes comes complacency, not a good mix,

and wait to find the hidden nail:grimacing::xd: :dying: :dead:

nails dont matter with the right blade,
I actually cut the corner off my brand spanking new hop up and didnt know it until it went through and collapsed on me, :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If the floorboards are springy, it's probably where they have been cut for access by a plumber or electrician and not put back properly, you'll need some timber fixing to the joist underneath and fasten the offending boards down with screws into this.
If it's over a larger area, the joist ends could be rotted away and this is a structural problem although it's not an expensive fix if it's a downstairs floor

bit of a crapper if it's an upstairs floor as you may disturb ceilings below

Been a carpenter/joiner for over 30 years and if your nervous i would get a trade guy in to do the job,Cople of hrs work,Material and labour should be know more than £50

Been a carpenter/joiner for over 30 years and if your nervous i would get a trade guy in to do the job,Cople of hrs work,Material and labour should be know more than £50
I can do it myself, just want the easy way to get the floorbaord part out. Think Ill buy an electric saw from argos that's should do the job.

I can do it myself, just want the easy way to get the floorbaord part out. Think Ill buy an electric saw from argos that's should do the job.
thats the easy way until you hit a pipe and get a leak, or a cable and electrocute yourself
like @moshibeth said, if you feel the need to ask the question it will probably be easier, cheaper, and safer to get someone to do it for you

This thread has made me chuckle - it never ceases to amaze me what some people will do with floorboards... i'm sure some of you guys have probably seen some examples in your time too.

If you are intent on doing it your self then set the depth about 2 mm less than the thickness of the floor boards before attempting any cuts so not to hit any pipes or cables,Do a test on a spare board first

best thing ive ever done cover the floor in thin hardboard when we change each carpet,

stops any noise and evens out any high or low spots ;-)

Just to be clear, there are 2 issues removing a floor board.
First you need to cut across the board at the end of the section you wish to remove. This should really be done on top of a joist. You may see a previous cut close by that you can utilise. If not you have to identify the joist and cut there, by definition there will be nails there so circ saw not ideal. A multi cutter or spiral saw will do the job or go old school with a pad saw. You may need to chop off the tongues as below for about 500mm either side to prise up the board in the middle of a length.
Next you need to cut through the tongues on the edge of the board. If your prop is old, natural shrinkage should leave a gap between the edges allowing access, if no you have more of a struggle. Usually a 2 1/2” bolster chisel is best way. Chop down both sides and prise up from the cut end, putting a bar under board as you prise to support the board against springing back. Every time you reach a joist, extra effort needed to prise up fasteners. When u get to last joist after the point were u want to remove, cut board in line with joist.
If your cuts are not over a joist you will need to fasten a block onto the joist to support the board end.
Once one board section is removed, adjacent boards are easy as you won’t need to deal with the tongues.

Hi

Whilst walking over a few floorboards I noticed they are "springy" and I think they need replacing. I was intending to put a very thin but strong piece of metal over the joint to stop a hole forming but think its best to pull carpet back and replace.
Question= what's the easiest way to cut out the piece of floorboard as I don't have any electric saws, would it be best to invest in one t make the job easy peasy?

Back