SD card?

Mcgovery

Hi all.
I'm slowly learning and have not got my box setup but I see some people are using sd cards for EPG etc.
Can I ask what the purpose of this is please?

Thanks

Just take some of the strain of the main flash memory
and if you have a spinning hard drive, it will allow it spIn down

Not sure how I did it exactly .. followed a couple of posts on here somewhere but -
Switch off box at rear white button
Insert SD card in side slot
Switch on box
Initialize SD card
Menu, Setup, CrossEPG, Configure and change the destination to your SD card.

I had Timeshift on there as well for a while but that caused me no end of issues so put it back on HDD.
Not a lot of help I know but I found the info easily enough with a Google search

If your SD card was struggling it was probably too slow. I have a reasonably fast SD card and it's handling the EPG and timeshift fine. If you have timeshift on the HDD it's going to be spinning all the time far more than it is for the EPG. Definitely try and have an SD for the timeshift and EPG

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's a SanDisk 32GB bought from a proper supplier not fleabay. Rewind and FF was very jumpy and hard to control i.e. if I overshot the point I wanted to resume play it wouldn't rewind and would either jump to a random position or stop Timeshift completely and go to live TV.

I've set up timeshift to SD card again tonight ... think I know what I was doing wrong previously ...
When I had Timeshift on HDD it was setup to a Timeshift folder on the drive so I added a Timeshift folder to SD card and pointed it there .. Pause, R/W and FF were sort of working (very stuttery) and I would get the Can't create Hardlink error every time I rebooted or changed channel.
Deleted the Timeshift folder on the SD card and just pointed it to the root of the SD card and all seems to be OK so far touch wood.
Does that make sense?? I've had a beer or four!!

Just in case, anyone else is struggling with moving their Timeshift etc over to an SD card here are some instructions that I copied and pasted from here somewhere along the line:

SETTING UP A MICROSD CARD:

Switch off the box and insert Microsd
Power on
Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices > Initialisation
Select microsd (should be named mmcblk0p1) and press red button to initialise.
Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices > Convert ext3 filesystem to ext4
Select mmcblk0p1 and press red button to convert.

Menu > InfoPanel > Plugins > Mount Manager
Check microsd is mounted as /media/mmcblk0p1 and is Type: ext4 R/W
If not /media/mmcblk0p1 press green button 'Setup Mounts' highlight the microsd and change to /media/mmcblk0p1 using left/right buttons.
Reboot

SWAPFILE
Menu > InfoPanel > Plugins > Swap Manager
Delete existing swapfile on HDD
Select microsd and click 'Create'
Wait about 15 minutes for this to complete and then click 'Autostart' and then 'Enable'Reboot

EPG
Menu > Setup > EPG
Go to settings and change location to /media/mmcblk0p1
Download new EPG via CrossEPG or EPG Importer

TIMESHIFT
Menu > Setup > Recordings & Timeshift > Timeshift Settings (Optional depending on size of microsd)
Timeshift location - Change to media/mmcblk0p1

PICONS
MENU > PLUGINS > RED BUTTON (remove plugins)
Remove previously installed feeds and picons.
Reboot
Menu > Plugins > Green button > Highlight feeds and press OK > Highlight picons.xyz and press OK > Press OK again
When you are back to the list of plugins Press exit and then press exit again.
Press and hold power button and select restart to restart the box.
When your box has restarted:
Press the Green button > Green button again > Picons > Press the OK button
Installing the feed will have unlocked some Picons that weren’t available before.
Scroll down the list to: srp-full.400x240-370x210.light.on.transparent Press OK > Press OK again. Select MicroSD and press OK.
This can take 10 or 15 minutes depending on your broadband speed.

Just a note, i've been running SD cards for a while and i've switched back to a USB flash drive because updating Whooshbuild DOES NOT WORK cleanly when using an SD card.. once it's flashed, it doesn't mount the SD card and so settings can't be restored without manual fudging.

I just bought a tiny 16gb and stuck it in the back port.. I do use a NAS to record to though so that port is free anyway.

I've had an SD card in since early Woosh V4 for Picons, EPG and Swapfile & now back to having Timeshift set there too. Had no issues updating Woosh right up to the current V5, settings save and restore no problem.

Back