Seagate slashes warranties for HDDs

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
37.jpg

Seagate has noted today that it will shorten the warranty on most of its consumer series HDDs.

In an effort to reduce costs, the warranties will be reduced from 5 years to just 2 years.

Included in the list are Seagate's most popular drives, the Barracuda 7200.12 and Momentus Green product series.

Barracudas are 3.5-inch form factor and used for desktop builds while the slimmer Momentus are 2.5-inch and used for notebooks, or as slim external drives.

Enterprise models, like the XT series, will keep its five-year warranty.

It is unclear when the new move will go into effect.

Don't really have any use for seagate drives to start with, and this doesn't help their case with me any.

Never liked them & with the amount of dead ones I've replaced I'm not surprised at all.

I suppose the solution is simple enough? Just don't buy them.....

thats bloody great i wanted a seagate 320 gb as i am using a 320 gb iomega which makes box reboot loads of times trying to watch a recordingROFL

i've got seagate external hard drive 1TB, hope it doesnt go bust on me

Well just in case it does? You'd be better off keeping that master piece about the burst pipe at the airport on another drive. Or better still? leave a copy in a safety deposit box in your local bank. (y)

Well just in case it does? You'd be better off keeping that master piece about the burst pipe at the airport on another drive. Or better still? leave a copy in a safety deposit box in your local bank. (y)

i'll bear that in mind. I hardly use it anyway. Its off most of the time LOL

Update: Seagate refutes claim that they are slashing warranties
24.jpg

In an update to our recent article, Seagate has refuted the claim that they are slashing their warranties to 2 years (from 5) in an effort to cut costs.

In mass tweets sent to journalists, bloggers and others who reported the news, the company says simply: "Rumor's wrong. Seagate retail internal drives still have 5-year warranty."

Original story:

Seagate has noted today that it will shorten the warranty on most of its consumer series HDDs.

In an effort to reduce costs, the warranties will be reduced from 5 years to just 2 years.

Included in the list are Seagate's most popular drives, the Barracuda 7200.12 and Momentus Green product series.

Barracudas are 3.5-inch form factor and used for desktop builds while the slimmer Momentus are 2.5-inch and used for notebooks, or as slim external drives.

Enterprise models, like the XT series, will keep its five-year warranty.

It is unclear when the new move will go into effect.

25.jpg

now seagate is saying that they are not to slash the warranties.curiouser and curiouser.

Back