Signal Strength Help

D14ORJ

I was wondering whether anyone here could help and have a look at my incoming signal values and tell me if they are ok?

I am getting a bit of pixelation and glitching on various channels - Rather than just be told they are low or high or whatever, i would be interested in an explanation. I have read a few bits on the DOCSIS3 network however I would be lying if I said I completely understand it. From what I can tell my levels are just about ok but I only get around 69-72 SNR showing on my channels on the Mutant HD51 box and as I say i am experiencing some very minor problems. They are infuriating though.

I am interested in how I can manipulate the values to get a better/stronger signal if required...any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 91
Being honest it's normally always down to the equipment used, you can't manipulate the values to get a stronger signal in that way, unless you get a VM engineer to beef up your line.
You don't mention what else you have connected to the feed. Vm router etc TiVo box?? The more you split the feed the weaker it is and leads to pixilation without the right equipment, this is normally were a powered hdu is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being honest it's normally always down to the equipment used, you can't manipulate the values to get a stronger signal in that way, unless you get a VM engineer to beef up your line.
You don't mention what else you have connected to the feed. Vm router etc TiVo box?? The more you split the feed the weaker it is and leads to pixilation without the right equipment, this is normally were a powered hdu is required.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry i realise there is not much detail however I am fairly confident with the rest of the set-up. I have re-routed all cables clean and tidly, moved all power sources away from them, changed all the original cabling out back to the white box. I have used Webro HD100 Cable, short runs and cablecon connectors. I have on that line one technetix 2 way splitter 5-1000mhz -one feed to the Superhub, one to the Mutant. So no more connections that what was previously there (used to have Tivo box)

I do also have a cable that runs up to one of the bedrooms but this is split from outside I think as the cable runs up the outside of the house. Strangely I have no probelms whatsoever upstairs (I have a 2nd Mutant up there operating a wi-fi stick connection).

I just wonderd if there was anyone on here that knew what they were looking at with the figures and could tell me if they are optimal or not.

Normally you would expect about 85% or above for cable.

In general attenuators don't seem to work as you boost your signal
strength but also boost the noise (interference), so it makes little difference.

You will probably have to go back to VM for them to sort it out.

Tell them you keep getting drop outs on you internet connection ;)

VM won't sort out the mutant boxes connected surely?? I still reckon powered hdu is the way to go !!

No they won't sort out the mutant connection
but you know the signal strengh is low so you
tell them to fix another problem !!
drop out on your internet !! :grin::grin:

Otherwise you can spend hours trying to sort it out but
only they can sort signal strengh issues.

Only showing similar SNR upstairs albeit AGC is lower 44%. It's around 55% downstairs. Not that i have any idea what that means!

Signal Noise Ratio usually comes in at about 85% or above

Thats why you have pixalation

AGC doesn't usually matter.

Have you checked splitter and connections in omni box outside property has you said there is another feed going outside up the wall to another room etc reason being they are exposed to the outside elements etc i replaced mine because it was looking rather past its sell by date and was causing signal issues (just a thought)

I would still be inclined if that doesn't work to put an FDU in the brown box instead of the splitter. As long as you can get power to it, should sort your issue.

I found when messing around with my own cable system at home that I could get a picture and signal strength with less than 10 but it made funny noises and pixelated like crazy, I currently have signal strength in the 90s with a konig booster and I've had no problems with pixelation since, I also bought myself a zgemma h3.2tc which works much better with cable with mgcamd whereas before I was using a amiko a4 for cable and that was glitching more often as the softcam only available for that was oscam and I can tell you oscam sucks, so equipment can be play a part in it all.

I found when messing around with my own cable system at home that I could get a picture and signal strength with less than 10 but it made funny noises and pixelated like crazy, I currently have signal strength in the 90s with a konig booster and I've had no problems with pixelation since, I also bought myself a zgemma h3.2tc which works much better with cable with mgcamd whereas before I was using a amiko a4 for cable and that was glitching more often as the softcam only available for that was oscam and I can tell you oscam sucks, so equipment can be play a part in it all.
OScam doesn't suck if you have the correct config files and the correct setup had no issues with it all..

I can even monitor what lines are active and determine which line is working better. (If you have more than one line)

I would agree Oscan Doesn't suck. It's actually quite easy to setup, maybe not so for beginners initially but it's all down to knowledge. What does suck is cheap shitty Koing splitter booster, I wouldn't even except one of those if it were free and gift wrapped on my door the next day lol [emoji23]

From the levels in the screen shot, although they're low, they're still within range - your signal db level ideally needs to be at 37 but as long as it doesn't drop below 35, you shouldn't get and problems. I notice on your readings, there's one at 35.2 so there's a chance that it could occasionally drop below 35 and cause interruption with the picture.

You could try contacting VM, tell them you've had a PC health check and they have noted that your power levels are low - they may tell you that they're within range but worth a shot... if they say they're sending someone out to investigate, make sure you hide your box obviously :grin:

hi mate your Rx power is OK on both upstream and downstream and should work fine i would say its the connections. you could have a faulty splitter or your f-connectors have you got pics of these? are you using solid core cable? a hdu is ment for properties that are far from the cab in the street and have multiple outlets putting one in when it isn't needed could cause more issues as too much signal can be worse than having low signal it can kill the equipment. noise can also cause the issues you are having open ports on the feed, make sure they are terminated. honeycomb cable is also a big no no as this lets noise on to the network. put some pics up and i will tell you what i can suggest.

I would agree Oscan Doesn't suck. It's actually quite easy to setup, maybe not so for beginners initially but it's all down to knowledge. What does suck is cheap shitty Koing splitter booster, I wouldn't even except one of those if it were free and gift wrapped on my door the next day lol [emoji23]

I download a oscam config off this site once and that particular config improved my usage of oscam alot more but my main problem was for whatever reason oscam would just disconnect for no reason randomly for a few seconds or it could be 30 seconds/1min or some other random amount of time there was no pattern or sense to it lol, I did like the interface of it on my pc just shame about the disconnects.

I'm still using one amiko upstairs in my bedroom as a backup so if anyone has any better working configs than the one posted in the oscam for atv/vix guides on this site I'm all ears if anyone can point us in the right direction.

Back