Sky SR102 router

Nutz01

Hi

Just got on line with Sky broadband and I have the SR102 router. To be honest, I don't like it whatsoever. When I was with BT, I setup a pfSense firewall and used my own router in bridged mode and let the pfSense box do the PPPoe authentication and this box gave me pretty awesome performance compared to BT's Homehub. Now the problem with Sky, they are making things very difficult to use your own equipment. I have tried the Wireshark method to extract my router username and password from the box, but the WAN side DHCP traffic does not seem to leak onto the LAN side of the box any more, all i get it LAN side is local 192.168.0.xx DHCP requests. Maybe this is something they have changed in a recent firmware update, but from what I have researched already, people have used this method on both the SR1 and SR2 routers?

Confused, I'm pretty knowledgeable on hardware and networking, I just cant seem to get my head round this problem.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well I did this on a previous version of the Sky Router, but I'm not sure what you are doing here. If you have extracted the username and password, is the Sky router now out of line? And if so, I assume your own router in now connected to the filtered phone socket? Can you explain a little more about how you have your setup? If you aren't taking the Sky router out of line, you'd have to be able to put it into bridge mode. I haven't looked into whether this is available on the SR102 but it's pretty locked down so I would imagine it is not available.

One word of warning though. I was using Draytek equipment myself previously and there seemed to be some sync issues that crept in over time. This meant that my sync speed lowered and lowered until it was barely usable, which all came back as soon as I reconnected the Sky router back in line.

You potentially could use the built in Sky firewall to allow all incoming traffic through and simply put your own equipment inline after the Skybox and perform firewalling from there. Personally I'm not using my Draytek at the moment as there isn't a lot I can't do with the basic Sky router. What is it you are actually trying to achieve?

Back