Smart DNS

Contacted out of the blue?? Guess you signed up with your e-mail. Anyway it's correct that access to TOD isn't free (anymore - has been). It's stated on the site that TOD is going to become billed by traffic usage.
Out of the blue when he could see a user was using a service or then had a vpn on ...and then became a little aggressive asking for only to use his service and calling users ignorant 🤣 anyway just be cautious

Out of the blue when he could see a user was using a service or then had a vpn on ...and then became a little aggressive asking for only to use his service and calling users ignorant 🤣 anyway just be cautious
I found the service via a Google search for tod TV I created an account I thought it was this year, but somehow I have invoices going back to 2016 anyway I initiated tod on the dashboard, and it failed after that I gave up and got the email from the owner. The owner clearly knows what you're trying to watch etc, hence the approach

Don't know why you would use a Smart DNS on top of VPN - in most cases it won't work and the performance goes haywire. All the Smart DNS'es that I know don't allow using a VPN together with their Smart DNS. The ability to detect it differs - most of them are not very good at detecting it though - but their intent is clear.

It's a Smart DNS, so sure they know what you are trying to watch. That they try to send you some kind of information on TOD, after you try to watch it in vain (it's not free) I would call a friendly heads up. You obviously take any kind of contact as a violation.

It's a Smart DNS, so sure they know what you are trying to watch. That they try to send you some kind of information on TOD, after you try to watch it in vain (it's not free) I would call a friendly heads up. You obviously take any kind of contact as a violation.
I didn't say it was an issue, despite it being unexpected, I didn't reply, and I didn't take it any further personally I would not use a free service like this going forward because how do they make money, just like I don't use free vpn`s and as the saying goes if you're not paying for the product, you are the product I've nothing against the service or anyone who uses it's just not for me

Last edited:
I totally agree with you on the 'how do they make money part' - but they are going to become a paid service soon; they have just been keeping it free while they were developing - that's totally common.

Thanks for the feedback...dns services like vpns are different in terms of what services they unlock and quality...its trial and error to find the right one for services you use.

This is exactly the crux of it: Dns services are no different than VPNs - there is no one service that unlocks everything with high quality across the board.

I am personally using 3 different ones at the moment (ControlD, Getflix, and DNS4Me) which give me the right services at the quality I want. In my setup I use AdGuard Home on my router to “triage” which URLs go to which dns service - similar to split tunneling with VPNs. That way I avoid having to switch VPNs or servers and it’s pretty much set and forget as long as there aren’t outages (which I have redundancies for across my dns services if need be)

This is exactly the crux of it: Dns services are no different than VPNs - there is no one service that unlocks everything with high quality across the board.

I am personally using 3 different ones at the moment (ControlD, Getflix, and DNS4Me) which give me the right services at the quality I want. In my setup I use AdGuard Home on my router to “triage” which URLs go to which dns service - similar to split tunneling with VPNs. That way I avoid having to switch VPNs or servers and it’s pretty much set and forget as long as there aren’t outages (which I have redundancies for across my dns services if need be)
If we are talking about all the old established services I would say you are right, and your setup is a nice way of getting around the shortcomings of the individual services. I only need to use one service - smartstreaming.tv - it features all the channels that I need and in nice quality. Read their FAQ , they explain how they deliver higher bandwidth than any other Smart DNS.

If we are talking about all the old established services I would say you are right, and your setup is a nice way of getting around the shortcomings of the individual services. I only need to use one service - smartstreaming.tv - it features all the channels that I need and in nice quality. Read their FAQ , they explain how they deliver higher bandwidth than any other Smart DNS.
What's it like price wise bud

That's great if it works well...hope your not affiliated in anyway to the service...recently joined and first post is about how poor all other dns services are except smartstreaming.tv 🤔 apologies if your not lol. I for one am staying away due to my experience of the service.

That's great if it works well...hope your not affiliated in anyway to the service...recently joined and first post is about how poor all other dns services are except smartstreaming.tv 🤔 apologies if your not lol. I for one am staying away due to my experience of the service.
My original post was about my experience with a lot of services - then people started writing a lot about smartstreaming, that I somehow felt i had to respond to - that wasn't what I expected.

Back