Soundproofing Wall and Window

lucky15

Got noisy neighbours and want to live in peace.
How do I soundproof the party walls (neighbours either side of me) to help reduce the noise/
Also my front bay window lets in lots of noise I can hear people talking outside so need to try and resolve that too, any advice would be appreciated.
I've considered a new window not a bay with 6mm lamenated glass gap then 4mm glass, as glass of different thickness's is supposed to deflect noise best. Would a secondary window help?

batten your party wall and put soundproofing insulation in it
window, a new one is the only [ but not cheap ] option, to do it properly.

Thanks for the advice, and idea of cost wall/window? Who do I approach a joiner?
without any idea of your area cost is impossible
central London will be much more expensive than Outer Mongolia
a Joiner for the wall, and a good one will be able to do your window too,
stay well clear off double glazing snakeoil salesmen

Is it a UPVC double glazed window?
If yes to silence the noise through the window I would get a decent window company to come out and tell them to take any architraves off , and foam around the whole window frame between the cavity. Reseal the outside with Silicone. Point any external wall bricks. Consider any cavity wall vents or trickle vents on windows will let in ample noise.

Glass, You could replacing with Laminate glass. I work with this and it makes a huge difference.
Consider also getting your seals replaced on your windows and sash espags-locks tweaked to make sure they are pulling tight against the seals when closed.

:(y):

Got noisy neighbours and want to live in peace.
How do I soundproof the party walls (neighbours either side of me) to help reduce the noise/
Also my front bay window lets in lots of noise I can hear people talking outside so need to try and resolve that too, any advice would be appreciated.
I've considered a new window not a bay with 6mm lamenated glass gap then 4mm glass, as glass of different thickness's is supposed to deflect noise best. Would a secondary window help?
I had same sort of issue I could hear next door on the phone etc..no ones fault just no insulation etc in the party wall so I lined the wall my side with very high density polystyrene tiles about 10mm thick 60cmx40cm attached to wall with coving adhesive and the papered over..it’s stopped a lot of the noise both from me and next door and really helps with insulation and keeping heat.

Dummer -- I've been thinking about doing the same. When you papered over the tiles, did the 'joins' of the tiles show thru the paper?

Batten the wall and use insulated plasterboard then tape and fill the joints then just paper/paint on the board Jewsons or Travis perkins will have the materals that you will need , just explain what you want to do they are usually quite helpfull

i did my girlfriends a few months ago, battens down the wall, used 50mm green pads from selco, bought 5 sound insulation plasterboard sheets and easyfilled it then wallpapered it, shes happy now, its definatly worked, and wants me to do the other neighbour wall,

Is it a UPVC double glazed window?
If yes to silence the noise through the window I would get a decent window company to come out and tell them to take any architraves off , and foam around the whole window frame between the cavity. Reseal the outside with Silicone. Point any external wall bricks. Consider any cavity wall vents or trickle vents on windows will let in ample noise.

Glass, You could replacing with Laminate glass. I work with this and it makes a huge difference.
Consider also getting your seals replaced on your windows and sash espags-locks tweaked to make sure they are pulling tight against the seals when closed.

:(y):
very good advice, most noise issues are with poor fitting rather than the actual windows or glazed units.

Build a stud wall inside of the party wall space, using 2x4 stud space. You have to make sure at no point dose the stud touch the party wall or it will carry sound, seal around edges of stud with sound proof mastic. Fill your stud with 100mil rockwool sound rating insulation it’s not cheap but this can touch the party wall.
Any plug sockets also need to be moved to new stud use soundrates filling for electrical sockets as noise will leak through here. Better still use external sockets.
Plasterboard on to stud traditional method nails then fill all gaps. Using a second layer of plasterboard dot and dab rotate so your joints are running oposit to first fix. Finally skim and seal all edges again..sounds complex but is in fact quite straight forward.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm in the Greater Manchester area and if anyone wants to put in for the job I'm all ears.

You'd be as well advertising your job on mybuilder.com - you'll get local tradesmen to quote for the job and can read reviews of their work from satisfied and unsatisfied customers.

You'd be as well advertising your job on mybuilder.com - you'll get local tradesmen to quote for the job and can read reviews of their work from satisfied and unsatisfied customers.
Or, if its anything like most if those sites, rated people etc, the builder etc can edit or delete any reviews he doesn't like. Yep, I know that as a fact as I used to be on some of them until I found that out, the "builder" pays a membership, so the site wants to keep them paying.

I had same sort of issue I could hear next door on the phone etc..no ones fault just no insulation etc in the party wall so I lined the wall my side with very high density polystyrene tiles about 10mm thick 60cmx40cm attached to wall with coving adhesive and the papered over..it’s stopped a lot of the noise both from me and next door and really helps with insulation and keeping heat.
Them polystyrene tiles are very bad if you ever have a fire in house, its against building regulations to use them now and its acctually illegal to rent a house out with them installed be careful

Back