Swiss beat UK's BT to next-gen G.fast broadband

rs47

2 hours ago....BBC, Technology

Switzerland is the first country in Europe to deliver so-called ultrafast broadband to customers through traditional copper infrastructure, according to service provider Swisscom.

It said 1,000 customers were now using a G.fast connection, which can reach speeds of 500Mbps.

G.fast lets copper cables carry data at faster speeds than before.

In the UK, BT's Openreach has been trialling G.fast technology, but customers can not yet buy packages.

Openreach has been installing the fibre optic cables that facilitate superfast broadband across the UK, but has so far focused on connecting street cabinets rather than homes.

Code:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37705435

they have started rolling out fttp they should just pull fibre to the property stop throwing money away as i seen 0.5 meg on so called fibre to cab then the next mile crap copper telephone wire and sure there more than 1000 custermers in uk over 500meg

BT are a joke, they waste so much money fixing outdated systems rather than upgrading them. Can't see it ever changing though

your right garf they spend millions get adsl working then spend again getting fibre to cab now thats hopeless need to spend again pulling fibre to property which should have done years ago only good thing is keeps me in a job lol

This report is wrong. Im an engineer working at openreach and I can tell you that we've got alot more than 1000 people using gfast!
I'm aware people like to knock us/openreach, but there's a lot going on to improve speeds across the network.
Unlike some other countries, we're trying to work with a legacy network, while end users expectations and requirements have gone through the roof.
People just don't appreciate how broadband reliance and expectations have increased so quickly! People just assume it's there and will work!
Believe me, I spend every day staring into joint box's, repairing and installing line plant to give people what they want

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back