Texas on alert as Hurricane Alex sweeps in

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
US President Barack Obama has declared a state of emergency in Texas as Hurricane Alex bears down on the coast with 80mph (130km/h) winds.

32.jpg

Coastal towns in north-east Mexico and
southern Texas are preparing

Alex is expected to make landfall near the Texas-Mexico border as a category two hurricane, forecasters say.

Heavy seas caused by the first Atlantic hurricane of the season have already disrupted BP's oil spill clean-up in the Gulf of Mexico.

Boats skimming the slick have been sent back to port by the US Coast Guard.

High waves and strong winds generated by Alex have also pushed more oil from the spill on to beaches in Louisiana.

"The sad thing is that it has been about three weeks since we had any big oil come in here," said marine science technician Michael Malone.

"With this weather, we lost all the progress we made," he added.

A huge oil patch has been pushed towards Louisiana's Grand Isle and the uninhabited Elmer's Island, dumping large tar balls on the beach.

Oil dispersant flights and controlled burning operations in the Gulf of Mexico have also been postponed.

However, Alex is not stopping oil recovery at the scene of the leak 50 miles (80km) off the Louisiana coast.

33.jpg

Two vessels are capturing oil gushing from the wreck of the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon rig despite waves of up to 7ft (2.1m).

The deployment of a third vessel has been delayed until the weather improves.

A containment cap is capturing up to 25,000 of the estimated 30,000 to 60,000 barrels of crude spewing from the ruptured well every day.

President Obama's emergency declaration allows the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) to co-ordinate disaster relief efforts, the White House said.

Alex, currently a category one hurricane, is strengthening and expected to make landfall late on Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center said.

The centre warned that torrential rain could cause flash floods and mudslides in north-eastern Mexico and southern Texas.

It also warns of a storm surge of up to 5ft (1.5m) spreading several miles inland along the affected coast.

We're getting some heavy rain in the area here. The hurricane is soo big, the outter bands have been hitting us since about 2am....it is 6pm right now, and landfall is not expected for 3hrs.....almost 300 miles south of where I'm at!! Rain has been off and on....with the larger gaps being 30-45 minutes and the shorter gaps being just 30 seconds. We have gotten maybe 2-3 inches of rain....in the border area (known here as the Rio Grande Valley "The Valley") they have gotten as much as 9 inches of rain since yesterday. I watched the radar give some areas 2 inches of rain in 30 minutes. Winds here have gusted up to 35mph today.....may get up to a max of 45mph or so tonight.

texflag texflag

Our govenor had decalred 19 counties a declaration of disaster monday, and ordered 2500 national guard troops to be put on standby for any emergency's.

Do I recall correctly rtm, you get to go into the bunker?

I hope the disturbance is minimal buddy (y)

-

Since the storm isn't direct on us, we don't have to stay at the refinery. Since the tracks put it well south of us, they didn't put the emergency vehicles in the shelter here....most of the contractor's were given the day off....and most won't come back to work till tuesday, as sunday is a holiday.

Right now, the storm is at 24.4N 97.2W moving west or 270 degrees at 12mph....max sustained winds are 100mph with gusts up to 115mph. Landfall should be in mexico within 2hrs or so.

Point taken Gman,but not to far of the truth with some of the weather i have been in up here. Sorry for any offence taken

We are expected to get 4-6 inches of rain today....with areas getting up to 10 inches. Storm surge is already in excess of 10 feet, and we have tourists (idiots as I call them!!) who head on down to the beach to "see what a hurricane is like coming in". All of our beaches have been closed to the public, with a notice of "swim at your own risk". Rip tides are all over the area...local news covareage showed a parking lot about 100yds from shore, covered with about 18 inches of water.

Every season it's the same thing....storm comes in, sane people leave or take shelter....and the idiots come into town....either for a "hurricane party" (party till they die) or the surfers, kite boarders, and wind surfers come out to "catch some really great waves"!!

Hundreds In Shelters As Hurricane Alex Hits

Hundreds In Shelters As Hurricane Alex Hits

Hurricane Alex has roared ashore in northeastern Mexico, flooding towns inland and forcing hundreds of people into shelters.

The Category 2 hurricane has hampered efforts to control the massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, off the Louisiana coast.

Rain from the first named storm of the 2010 Atlantic season has swamped beaches and streets while residents in the Tamaulipas state have been taken into shelters.

"We need food, we need water, we are getting desperate," said cleaner Rocio Guerra with her three young children in a crowded, muddy shelter with overflowing toilets in Matamoros.

Alex made landfall on the Tamaulipas coast around 3am, the US National Hurricane Centre said.

496.jpg

Streets and beaches have flooded in Matamoros

Its rains had already flooded highways as far inland as the industrial city of Monterrey and the centre warned of isolated tornadoes in south Texas.

One man died in Monterrey on Wednesday when his house collapsed in the heavy rains, rescue authorities said.

Families boarded up homes and Texan authorities urged people to leave beach towns as strong winds tipped over trailers and bands of intense rain pounded the area.

Alex has forced oil and gas companies to cut back production, but the hurricane path is southwest of major US offshore facilities.

497.jpg

Residents were taken to shelters in Matamoros

Oil prices have fallen since Friday as Alex's path churned away from US oil fields, but energy companies still shut down production of more than 421,000 barrels per day of oil as a precaution.

Despite waves over 7ft high at the site of the BP leak, crew are still managing to capture oil and drill relief wells.

But efforts to burn off and skim spilled oil have been suspended.

Officials have said that oil capturing and drilling would have to stop if the winds reach 46mph in the area.

The hurricane came ashore around 9pm, I had the computer at work turned to the weather radar, and watched the storm make landfall. When I got out of work at 10pm, I waited about 10 minutes while a rain band passed over, so I wouldn't get that soaked. As soon as I got into my friends car to head on home, it began to pour down on us. I kept hearing rain till about 2am or so. Our local news showed people who came into town to sit along the beaches to watch the storm come in.

Yesterday, a couple kite boarders were out in the bay when the storm started to come in.....and we only had 7 foot swells. One made it to shore, but the other one had the wind lift him about 12 feet into the air, before the wind died, and he cam crashing down into the bay. The police harbor patrol had to go out and rescue him!! Such idiots we get during the storm down here!!

Back