The Latest And Easiest Wii Softmod Yet - letterbomb included (Jan 2012)

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
The Latest And Easiest Wii Softmod Yet - (Jan 2012)

Wii Should Be Connected To The Internet For This Tutorial

FOR 4.3 ONLY
Download this>> CLICK HERE, but you only need pack 2 from it, disgard pack 1.
If your Wii is on 4.3, you can use any of the game save methods (Indiana Jones Lego, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etc.) to install the Homebrew Channel, or you can use this new method called Letterbomb. This is probably the easiest method by far to install the Homebrew Channel.
What you need to do is go to this website >>> LetterBomb

Wii Softmod - LetterBomb.png

1. Tick the Wii version that you have (U for USA, E for Europe, J for Japan, K for Korea)
2. Enter your MAC Address, you can find your MAC address by clicking on the Wii options on the main screen, then Wii settings, then Internet, then console information.
3. Type in the catchpa words, then click either “Cut the red wire”, OR “cut the blue wire” and a zip file will be downloaded to wherever files are downloaded to.
Put these files onto the root of an SD card, insert into your Wii, click on the messages board, go to yesterday, open the message and bobs your uncle, it will install the homebrew channel.
Here is a video that shows how easy it is done.

[video=youtube;12jctaJlQdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12jctaJlQdM[/video]

Go to “NAND and Keys Backup”

4.2 OR BELOW
Download the Softmod from HERE
There are two packs contained in this download.

Pack 1 Contains Bannerbomb and hackmii installer, We will start here.

If your Wii has 4.1 or 4.2
Instructions :-
Format SD card and copy contents of pack 1 to sd root.
Press the SD icon on the Wii and then insert the sd card
(important not to insert SD card first)
LoadBoot Elf appear,press yes
Install homebrew and bootmii (As both Boot2 and IOS, if possible).
If the Wii freezes, try another Bannerbomb version from the “Bannerbomb Versions” folder.

If your Wii has below 4.1 firmware
Instructions:-
Format SD card and copy contents of pack 1 to sd root.
Click on the circle that says “Wii” on the bottom left of the screen, then choose Data Management, then choose Wii Channels, then choose SD Card tab, insert SD Card to Wii.
LoadBoot Elf appear,press yes
A disclaimer will appear and after a short period of time it will say press 1 to install,
Install homebrew channel and bootmii as ios or boot 2 is preferable if that option is available.
If the Wii freezes, try another Bannerbomb version from the “Bannerbomb Versions” folder.

NAND and Keys Backup
When that is done exit out of the hackmii
Your wii will now have Homebrew
Now we are going to make a nand backup
Launch Homebrew channel and press start,when in homebrew press the home button on the wiimote,a menu will appear and you are looking to launch bootmii,when you do this you will only be able to navigate bootmii with the buttons on the wii(power and reset)
Use the power button to go to the left to the symbol that looks like a cog and press reset,now you have another screen,stay on the first one which is the nand to sd card and press reset,now the nand is being copied to the sd card,this will take some time,when finished press any button to exit and you will be back to a menu screen,go to the far left to the back arrow using the power button and then press reset,you will be back to the main bootmii menu,press reset on the wii symbol and your back to your wiis system menu.
Now take out the sd card,on the computer delete the private folder and the boot elf file,save the rest of the files in a folder named whatever you want except bootmii,i usualy name it Old bootmii files do not delete.You can save this to your computer for safe keeping and incase we need to roll back the wii.

Install PriiLoader​

To avoid your Wii being updated by Discs or via the internet it is recommended that you install PriiLoader, I have written a Tutorial, Access it by clicking HERE

INSTALL IOS 236

Pack 2 Contains IOS236 installer, and d2x CIOS INSTALLER V8.0

I would recommend a network install on all of these to have most up to date versions and avoid compatibility issues (which is why your Wii has to be connected to the internet). If you wish to install the wads, you will have to get them yourself.

INSTRUCTIONS:-

Format your SD card, copy the contents of pack 2 to the root

First we will install IOS 236.
Open Homebrew channel
Select ios 236 installer
Read start up messages and press 1(wait for it to ask you to press 1 or you will have to restart)
Select network install(download from nus)
Read step 2 to make choice
1-play pirated games
2-only homebrew applications
* One would hope that you would be pushing "2" as this is a tutorial for non-pirates that want to use USB Loaders responsibly.(it may also offer you the same options but ask for "A" or "B")

d2x CIOS INSTALLER V8.0

Instructions:

Online Install
- Load the HBC and load the d2x installer
- Select IOS 236 to use during the instllation
- Select cIOS to install <D2X v8>
- Select base IOS i.e <56>
- Select cIOS slot i.e <249>
- Press A to install

Remeber to Do the same for IOS250 but with base 57

Offline Install
For offline install you will need to download the IOS's you'll use as bases. You can download from here

This pack contains:

IOS37 v5662
IOS38 v4123
IOS53 v5662
IOS55 v5662
IOS56 v5661
IOS57 v5918
IOS58 v6175

After downloading move the wad files to the root of the SD/USB

- Insert the SD or USB in the Wii
- Select IOS36 or 236 to use during the installation
- Select cIOS to install i.e <D2X v6>
- Press A to install

As Always, Thanks go to Sinno Who told me what to add to make a softmod easier, all I claim gratitude for is typing it and laying it out.

:download:

Last edited:
Stickied for you wheelo and unstuck the other one (check I done the correct one) lol

Will have to give this a try on my son's Wii, excellent as always to all involved!!!.

wll ill give it a go in a week or so when i got time, so be prepared for me to shout help lol!

Thanks Wheelo xx

For 4.3u Do we need to install Bootmii on boot 2? because there's no mention anywhere in this tutorial and when I click on bootmii for the nand section nothing happens. Thanks

when you are installing homebrew you should also be able to install bootmii as either boot 2 or ios,deepending on your choice and instalation when you return to your wii menu and then homebrew,as you exit homebrew you will get the option to launch bootmii in the menu,hope this helps

Cheers Sinno, I just got a PM and was going to answer here too.
@flogapol, do you get into the bootmii screen, and then just can't move the cursor???
the cursor is moved by the buttons on the Wii itself:- you change options using the power button and select option by pressing the reset button.
if you can give a little more info as to where you are, maybe we can help you further

I went with the Boot 2. Seemed to work ok I was able to launch BootMii and do the NAND Backup.

I got to the part of d2x CIOS Installer V2.2 and did these steps for online install but I didn't see the second step of "Select IOS 236 to use during the installation". It skip directly to the spot where I have to Select the Cios to install etc... And also I cannot find where to do this step "Remeber to Do the same for IOS250 but with base 57" I assume it's when you get to the step to select the ISO 236 to use during the installation.
Online Install
- Select IOS 236 to use during the instllation
- Select cIOS to install <D2X v6>
- Press A to install

Remeber to Do the same for IOS250 but with base 57

After I did this I added a homebrew in the app list on my SD Card and was able to run it. Only when I exit the application it kinda froze my wii I had to shut down manually.

Thanks

Once you have installed ios 236 with the ios 236 installer the d2x will be installing to its own ios's,in order to change to 250 go to where it says ios 249 and push the right button on your wiimote,for the base do the same

So also install with these settings?

- Select cIOS to install <D2X v6>
- Select base IOS i.e <
57>
- Select cIOS slot i.e <
250>
- Press A to install

That's right mate, you are doing well with it so far, just shout back if you need more help(y)

Also, it might seem like it takes forever to answer you, but both myself and Sin:no are in Ireland and there is a time difference to the USA of at least 5 hours (EST)

thanks for all the info, worked ok :)
The only thing is when I did the first one with

It kinda gave me a HTTP not found error but for some reason it installed.

My wii is still working so I imagine I'm on the right path.
The only thing now is I need to find a way to backup and play my games. I decided to this this softmod so I wouldn't ruined my original copy since my little brother in law already ruined one by accident.

Thanks

The thing now is to choose a Hard Drive Loader, the best currently is probably the Wiiloader, but one that I have done a Tutorial for is Configurable Loader (CFG), the tutorial is HERE>>>http://www.techkings.org/nintendo-wii/18109-configurable-usb-loader-nintendo-wii.html - Because you have just used this Tutorial, you can skip right down to where it says "Put this download onto your SD card, open the Homebrew Channel, then select "Configurable Loader" and you are all set." and you are away. you need an external Hard drive(or portable HDD) for storing games onto.
To put the games you currently own onto the hard drive, you insert the disc into the wii, open the homebrew channel, open the CFG loader, then press the "+" button, it will ask do you want to load game to hard drive (or words to that effect) you choose yes, and it will load it for you, it can take up to 15 minutes

Thanks for all the info. Just wondering if you need to use an external HD or can you use like a 16gb or 32gb SDHC Card with a USB Adapter? I know it's less space than a bigger hard drive but it's smaller :)

Thanks

You certainly can, games take up an average of 4GB of space so you could store maybe 8 games on a 32GB memory card, all you have to do is format it to WBFS using the CFG loader.

when I click on the link from the line "Put this download onto your SD card, open the Homebrew Channel, then select "Configurable Loader" and you are all set." It doesn't work because it's from megaupload.

is there another link to the file? thanks

yes there should be another link - wheelo will know exactly where it is But i will have a look thro the wii section or download section for it for you.

Edit i have just gone to 1st page of this thread and clicked where it said here and it downloaded direct to my pc to open in rar. if not try looking in the downloads section, sorry my connection is playing up today :(

Last edited:
when I click on the link from the line "Put this download onto your SD card, open the Homebrew Channel, then select "Configurable Loader" and you are all set." It doesn't work because it's from megaupload.

which part is this, i can't find it in the tutorial

Last edited:
Hi Wheelo, thanks for posting this how to. Could you put a link to a non-megaload external site in the instructions? It would be greatly appreciated by non-members.

Also, did you ever have any interaction with Barnito? I haven't been able to find him and it seems like his softmod has dropped off the net.

@Blazer : - Anywhere in the first post that there is links or the download icon, it links you to TechKings own downloads page, not to Megaupload?? mind you, you are not the first to say this, I will have a Mod or admin look at it to see if something is hinky.
If it is just a matter of non members getting the goods, then why would I put them up somewhere else? it is simple to join this forum, and twenty minutes or so later you can download from this site. Why not have a good look around, there may be more to interest you around here to encourage you to stay.
Even if you are only coming to TechKings for this Wii softmod, I can guarantee that this softmod is the easiest with the latest IOS's, that will play all games, so it will have been worth your while joining.

second, I have never dealt with Barnito, so can't help with his whereabouts :dunno:, I have found a copy of his softmod, and it looks more complicated than this one.

Back