Thinking of Jumping Ship From KV ? What to do next !!

bees

VIP Member
Well as we can see there has been some developments on the KV front.

Two new firmwares have been released, one for the A780 and one for the A850

Both work.

Both allow your box to have the facility to connect to a "pay" server as opposed to the glitchy but free KV server.

So we can assume they will pull the plug on the support at some point.

In my view they have been excellent in releasing this firmware so your boxes don't become door stops.

Realistically they couldn't keep the server going for ever with diminishing box sales

So all that said, what next ?

You have basically got two choices.

Upgrade your existing box with the new firmware and pay a server or buy a more modern box and pay a server

So this should get your head around the basics, all other boxes have a paid subscription, to a server.

The server sends you a piece of code called a "line" , you put the line in your box and pay the server for keeping the channels clear.

It is the same system as your KV box but you are not tied to the KV server, but the big advantage is there are lots of servers, so there is competition, therefore the service is much more stable.

If the server you try is no good, just move to another, the satellite side have been doing this for years.

The server can send you a "line" for cable or a "line" for satellite depending on what box you use, you can't use a sat line in a cable box and vise versa.

If you are just looking for a direct replacement for your KV but more up to date, I would look at something like the miraclebox mini hybrid.

There is a rough guide on boxes here

There is no "BEST" box, you get what you pay for, so it comes down to your own budget.

It should give you some idea what to expect in terms of function / quality / price

There is a more complete list of cable boxes here

Finally if you upgrade your KV firmware or you decide to buy a more modern box you can post a request for a recommended line here

There is a similar thread for sat lines in the general sat section.

Read the first post in this thread it is important !!!

You should read this here too
or your visit may be short lived ROFL

Good Luck !!! (y)

Last edited:
Hi Bees, I'm new to this, so if you could be a little patient....I'm gonna change my krpytview and could you advise me on a suitable box...
The box has to be HD and I'm not bothered about being able to record etc. just want to get all channels and view in hd when available..P.S. not too expensive
PPS can it be bought set up and ready to go?
Thanks in advance....

---------- Post Merged at 01:39 PM ----------

Sorry, cocked up....I'm on VM cable...Ta!

You will have to set the box up.

Just set up a miraclebox mini+ for a friend, they are £96 with delivery, nice box, good spec for the price.

Mutant HD500C is £20 cheaper, bit slower (but not a slow box by any means), plastic casing as opposed to metal.

Both will do what you are looking for, they are in the buyers guide in the link above

Both will be miles better than what you have lol

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been looking at different cable boxes as kryptview is looking poor and tbh it's been unreliable for a while....... I know the usual question is what other box should i try!! but has anyone actually went and successfully changed box and managed to get all channels up and running.... If so what box. I dont mind paying the money for a decent reliable box..

All the boxes mentioned in all the links work,

where have you been for the last 2 years ? lol

Things moved on quite a while back, this is the way forward
if KV is no longer for you

@bees when you mention;
The server sends you a piece of code called a "line" , you put the line in your box and pay the server for keeping the channels clear

What is the cost you have to pay? Isn't it a matter of purchasing the box, getting it flashed with the FW and then use it?

UPDATE: Saw a similar question asked, guess the subs are part of the purchase of the box?

Last edited:
No mate, KV are the only ones that do a box connected to a dedicated server,the box
has been going for about 5-6 years just like the 750 before they pulled the plug on that model.

Hats off to them they have provided a good service for a long time.

But I don't want to start any rumours lol

Look at it this way, they have to pay to keep the server running, when server costs become
too high compared to box sales something must give.

There is always the Phantom box which is similar to KV but has links with Starview so
all your eggs are in one basket again and Starview gained a really bad name for itself,
so let's not talk about them lol

You can't get hold of the A850 which is the KV HD box, which is still up and running.

Now it's buy a box and buy a line from a server. This is how it has worked for years on the sat side.

Buy a box so they are happy selling boxes, buy a line so servers are happy too, servers aren't bothered about the make of box
you have, so the system is sustainable, as long as we don't have another Nag 3 on it's way lol

And that's another rumour !!! ROFL

Ballpark would be £50-80 per year for a cable line

Last edited:
@bees when you mention;
The server sends you a piece of code called a "line" , you put the line in your box and pay the server for keeping the channels clear

What is the cost you have to pay? Isn't it a matter of purchasing the box, getting it flashed with the FW and then use it?

UPDATE: Saw a similar question asked, guess the subs are part of the purchase of the box?

For once Javed, you really have me flummoxed, it is not like you not to have searched

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Hi All, I am new so be gentle. I am moving from KV and considering a box and paid sub. I have a single VM cable feed, single Sly feed and antenna. I want to be able to get the most HD channels available as I used to have an A780. I have read your guide and very much steering towards a miraclebox from world of SAT.

Would I get much benefit from having n lines for both cable and sly...cost benefit? Also the link for lines take me to amazon but I cant see any n lines for cable. Can I get a link to cable n lines please.

Finally, Am I correct in need Openvix firmware and not enigma2 in order to setup the box?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You will need the box,plus one of these

ariel.jpg

You may need a splitter kit ( one feed to box and one to router ) can't tell from your post.

Most cable servers will supply N Lines.

If you are thinking about a "combo" box, the advantage is you will be able to record one channel and watch another.

The box will lock itself to the channel while recording, single tuners can still record, but if you want this facility
you need a box with two tuners

The link for a line works for me,

You can get to it by going to the "general cable section" it is stickied at the top of the section.

There is a similar thread in the sat section if you need it

Last edited:
If you are looking for a real reliable box that gives you every channel and more !!and every movie channel +on demand go to ebay and purchase a MXQ box it is only £25.00!!!! and you will never look back cheer's TV Man

Box is cheap, subs are expensive, last time I looked subs where coming in at £25-30 a month,
so lets call it £300 per year, is that still the case ?

You will need the box,plus one of these

View attachment 15509

You may need a splitter kit ( one feed to box and one to router ) can't tell from your post.

/QUOTE]

Hi Bee, sorry I might be getting my self confused. I am not sure how the splitter kit work? I have decide on the Miraclebox Mini+ Hybrid 1x DVB-C/T/T2 Cable so I don't need to use my sly feed. I have a homeplug which I will connect my broadband via Ethernet and connect my VM feed to the Miracle box. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Is openvix best? Thanks again

Yeah, go for Openvix.

You will have a VM feed coming in, some people have one some have two.

If you have only one you can buy a splitter kit for about a fiver on Ebay.

You then have one feed in, two feeds out, one to your router, one to your box.

if you want cable and sat tuner box ,you will need a combo box not a single tuner box like miraclebox

Simple question

Hi Lads, just before I say owt, I have done more reading on here than Soft Mick! so many conflicting opinions, all I won't to know is this, is they a box out there at the moment that I can purchase and download the software from here, plug it in and off we go, I'm on Virgin, none of this need a line and pay a sub, I already pay Virgin for the basic package, I have couple of KV780 at the moment, silly question but nobody would want to swap them for a working box different make, Zgemma etc.;)

Cactikid are you saying that I have to pay for this Line in addition to what I pay Virgin for the basic package, is there not a box on the market that I can put the software on same as Kv780 and Eurovox & max, these box's did not need this so called line, if I have to purchase a line who is a provider' and do I still need Virgin or can I do away with Virgin cancel it all together

those old boxes are a thing of the past [ but kv might come back ]?
i have not seen any cable/sat boxes that dont need a line unless you get a viewing card more used in sat boxes like pron cards.
protek boxes have a 3 year gift for multisat and not 28.2.

if you leave virgin and get cut off=no signal but you do need them to scan from
broadband will do

2 request sections on forum for lines, sat or cable.

or android

Back