usb to rj45

rockford

Hello there, bought one of these adapters, it came with a mini-disc called usb lan driver and no instructions, the laptop that I want to connect to is a compaq e500 on windows 2000, my question is what to do with the mini-disc? Thanks as always.

usb adapters were tried to be used for people trying to flash say the kv 780 from laptop but modern laptops dont now have rs232/serial ports,it was another way to use the usb ports that they have,the adapters need the drivers on the disc,so disc has to be run first to load the data,then the usb adapter should work.hope you have a cd rom.

You will need to load the driver first (should be on your mini disk, just put it in your CD/DVD drive on your computer)
then load it as normal.

That's a USB to ethernet cable isn't it ?

Hasn't that got an ethernet port already or is it fault ?

Last edited:
..I wont see the compaq again until Monday I will do as you suggest, was going to load the disc anyway, but was put off by some bad reviews of the device.. and yes the computer does not have an ethernet port worst luck, thanks very much for your reply s,.. just bought a blade for my brother and want to get it up and running.

Have a quick look on the the mini disc cover to see if it tells you if it contains driver support for Win2k. If it does not tell you which Operating Systems it supports then just run it and it will probably flag up if it does not support Win2k. The majority should have drivers for Win2k.

jodav :)

. unfortunately when I looked at my brothers compaq its running w2kprofessional and the adapters drivers are not been recognised, ..stumped again! Having great difficulty connecting this old computer to the internet, I know its a different topic but in theory could I set up the blade for my brother using my computer in his home and connecting the blade to his router then taking my computer away just leaving the blade connected to the router? Thanks for your help.

Yes you can do that, some servers only allow
one account per IP address.

They will allow multiple lines to run off the account
which don't have to be on your IP.

So you have two options;

Take your laptop to your brothers , set up the server
account details there ( using his IP )

Then put the line in the box and it should be fine.

The only problem is he will need to get on the net at some point to extend / renew the line.

Or, the other option is you just order another line at your house, (test it in your
box if you want), then just put the line in his box and you extend / renew it for him.

.I think Ill go for the first option as I'm not sure about the second, setting up the line on one ip address then connecting it to another, would that work?

Yeah, works no problem i've done it both ways.

I run my dads box off my account (on a different IP) because he is hopeless
with computers and it's easier to just ask him for the money when he needs to extend the line.

I set a mate up on his own account using my laptop
from his house cause he a bit more clued up.

Also, run my box off a wifi dongle in the summer when camping
different (IP from home)

Last edited:
Back