Vauxhall Astra g 1.6i 8V Engine Problem

no1dad

hi guys i am having alot of trouble with my engine it's burning oil only last week i changed all 4 spark plugs and now they are full of soot and misfiring and smoke from exhaust had a mechanic check it over and could be piston rings they said new engine or new car could anyone shed light on this if i could fix it or have to scrap it thank you

Have you checked breather pipes aren't blocked or collapsed? Is there any gunk white stuff in the oil filler cap?

I'd recommend doing a compression test & scan it for codes before making any decisions on what to do with the car.

v/halls are good at eating your oil, try taking your EGR valve off and giving it a good glean with petro or egr cleaner, if that helps just blank it off with an EGR blanking kit to save the hassle in the future

hi michael7777 breather pipes are fine non collapsed and no gunk i have done a scan codes multiple misfire but when press accelerator the eml flashes

You could try giving it an Italian tune up, just in case one of the piston rings is sticking or stuck.

As suggested above it wouldn't hurt giving the egr a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and cleaning the throttle body too.

Compression test would be what I'd do if there's no improvement to see what is going on, you can get the tool for cheap on ebay. If it comes back OK look into the sensors make sure the ratios fuel/air ratios are correct.
If it comes back showing poor compression on one or more cylinders I'd make some enquiries about part exchange ;)

Last edited:
Agree with Michael7777 definately do a compression test before anything else.
You can pick one up for next to nothing

more likely a worn cam or sticky valves very common on this engine they tend to misfire when the rpm is around 3k

soot is a dry coating where as oil burning cakes plugs in carbon fouling up electrodes,try using an additive in fuel to help keep engine clean and limit egr issues.
smoke excessively from exhaust is a bad sign and usual suspects are burning oil or water due to headgasket issues.
multiple misfire after replacing plugs and codes cleared could be coil pack breaking down.

Back