Virgin Media Cable TV Power Levels

adzmullen

Hi Everyone,

Recently i've purchased my sister a zgemma h2h for use on v i r g i n media cable tv (same setup as myself) unfortunatly she has a lot of HD channels that dont work usually i get a blank screen or some times a very pixelated image, although some HD channels do work without an issue. example Sly Sports 1 HD is perfect Sly Sports 2 HD just a black screen.

I know its not the line provider (I use the same provider at my house and i asked for a test line from someone else to test just incase but i get the same results)
I know its not the splitter (I have used the splitter at mine with no probs)
I know its not the box (zgemma h2h box as i've also had it working at my house without a problem)
The 2 way splitter is insalled at entry point into the house from outside, the ZGemma is about 3m's away on a brand new PF100 cable the Virgin Super hub has been in place for years at the back of the house and is probably on a 10 meter cable.

So reading around the forum many people have suggested the power levels could be too high or even too low. So i compared the stats from my home hub to hers.

Mostly the stats are similar, but not the power level's, these are different (see pics) her dowstream is between +10db & +12db - where as mine is between +1db & +3db

My question is - do you think this is the cause of the problem if so what levels should i be aiming to ideally get the figures too - what attenuator would you recommend ifthats the correct path to take.

Thank You in advance

Attachments

• downstream.jpg
    downstream.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 224
  • upstream.jpg
    upstream.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 211
the best way is create a fault and see what he puts on take cable out back of internet and say its not working

Forward path attenuator

Could this help:

s5731.jpg

An attenuator is fitted when the signal level on your cable is too high. Excessive signal can degrade your service as much as one which is too weak.

A forward path attenuator (purple) reduces the signal strength on the forward path to your modem by whatever the value states on the attenuator.

Hi,

I do have one of these but a 12db one, it was originally fitted onto the super hub but the internet works perfectly if its fitted or not so i've put it on the back of the zgemma however it seems to have made no difference, so iv'e bought one of these to try : Connector type 0-20dB 5-2400 DCPASS for TV Aerial |

When it arrives i'll get it a go and see if the adjustment makes a difference.

Last edited:
Having similar issues. On first installation I was getting bad pixelation even on FTA. SNR was 99%. A variable attenuator was recommended and indeed worked. However 10 months later the problem has returned. SNR is now 229% no matter how much the attenuator is adjusted. Assuming the attenuator is on the fritz, does anyone know what size of static attenuator would I need? Or is an attenuator even going to work on an SNR so high?

To be honest with you nothing ever worked for me and no one had any solutions to fix the problem.

I've had to just live with it. If you do manage to fix it please let me know

I'm probably talking out my ar5e, but have you tried a different Virgin Network ID/Provider area? I remember a couple of years ago I had an Amiko Mini Combo, manually scanned ALL the cable frequencies it could pick up (oh what fun), and used to get loads of duplicate channels. Some would work, others freezing/glitching, not working at all. Thank god for Enigma 2 and Autobouquets!

Maybe another option to try if you haven't already thrown the box through the window....

It might be the opposite i.e not getting enough signal. 1db and 3db sound a bit low. Have you tried a signal booster with your H2H? I had similar problems when I set up my H2 and adding a signal booster cured the problem. This may not be the cause of your issue but is worth a try.

There's usually a signal booster doing it's rounds on here lol. Request in wanted section for a cheap Konig brick.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I have problems on sky sports arena Hd and sky sports mix hd on vm. The service code is the same as my TiVo box. The SNR is the same as other channels. The picture is pixelated with the sound breaking down. The SD channels are ok. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I have problems on sky sports arena Hd and sky sports mix hd on vm. The service code is the same as my TiVo box. The SNR is the same as other channels. The picture is pixelated with the sound breaking down. The SD channels are ok. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Check power levels from router - check all cables and splitter(s) that you may be using... hopefully you're not using poor quality stuff.

Splitter is good - I notice it's a 3 way though so you may be losing some signal there... are those blue and yellow the new push fittings as fitted by VM? ... i'd also check that older type f connection on the right.

I do also have a TiVo box that is why it is three way, two for boxes and super hub. Will try changing cable on right to one of the 6.1db outputs and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made no difference which you may be expected since it's only 0.5db difference. I then changed the three way with the two way that was supplied from vm and again the arena hd and mix hd are pixelated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back