Virgin Media Cable TV Power Levels

Ah sorry, I assumed you had the same receiver as the OP as you didn't specify it was different.

Can you try disabling tuner C to see if it makes any difference?

Made no difference which you may be expected since it's only 0.5db difference. I then changed the three way with the two way that was supplied from vm and again the arena hd and mix hd are pixelated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thats actually quite a lot
dB is logarithmic, not linear,
so the difference between 6.1 and 6.5 is more than 5 times the difference between 6 and 6.1
its probably iro 10 or 20 times

hi mate i use to work for them for about 8 years as an engineer and a manager the 3rd cable could be causing you issues as you could be getting noise on your feed from the exposed braiding under the f connector also looking at your router up/down stream they are ok down stream should be as close to 0.0db as you can get it should be between -5 and +5db and your upstream is a little high try to get that around 42dbmv also if you have any other feeds with nothing on try some termination caps on them as they could also be letting noise in. make sure you are also using solid core cable not the honeycomb cable. also make sure all connections are tight.

Last edited:
Made no difference which you may be expected since it's only 0.5db difference. I then changed the three way with the two way that was supplied from vm and again the arena hd and mix hd are pixelated.

you have probably upped your return power by removing the 3 way.

Problem seems to be solved by remaking termination on the feed to the zgemma box. Thanks to all who provided help.

Reactions: ste
Sorry to jump on this thread but it would seem relevant to my problems. I am experiencing gliching and pixelation on one of my Mutant HD51 boxes on certain channels.

I have a couple of questions @trigger2204 maybe you could help with your VM engineering background?

1. How do I get some data for the signal currently coming into the box...do I have to use the diagnostics on the Super hub? Or is there something I can download onto the box to measure it?
2. Once I have the data...where can I find some target values that I need to achieve for a stable service?
3. How do I use attenuaters to affect the values?

Any help much appreciated

Sorry to jump on this thread but it would seem relevant to my problems. I am experiencing gliching and pixelation on one of my Mutant HD51 boxes on certain channels.

I have a couple of questions @trigger2204 maybe you could help with your VM engineering background?

1. How do I get some data for the signal currently coming into the box...do I have to use the diagnostics on the Super hub? Or is there something I can download onto the box to measure it?
2. Once I have the data...where can I find some target values that I need to achieve for a stable service?
3. How do I use attenuaters to affect the values?

Any help much appreciated
sorry for late reply mate been busy with work. yeah if you look at the diags page in your router you need to get your broadband return power level down to about 42-44db and downstream levels to as close to 0db as you can the tv boxes can be in between +5 and -5db for them to work optimally. as for the attenuaters it all depends what your levels are there are also simulators and equalizers simulators up your levels and equalizers balances them out. what ever you do dont use 50bd attenuater as this will stop your broadband working you can also look on the tv boxes for your levels but the router is more accurate.

sorry for late reply mate been busy with work. yeah if you look at the diags page in your router you need to get your broadband return power level down to about 42-44db and downstream levels to as close to 0db as you can the tv boxes can be in between +5 and -5db for them to work optimally. as for the attenuaters it all depends what your levels are there are also simulators and equalizers simulators up your levels and equalizers balances them out. what ever you do dont use 50bd attenuater as this will stop your broadband working you can also look on the tv boxes for your levels but the router is more accurate.

Thanks for the reply Trig - I have actually just posted a new thread http://www.techkings.org/threads/signal-strength-help.130834/#post-776800 which has my values at the Hub - I am unsure as to if these are considered optimal or not.

Back