VPN - Good or bad for providers?

Reaperuk

Do IPTV providers prefer customers to have a VPN or does it increase the chances of shutdowns (by having potentially lots of connections from the same address)?

I've had some providers say a VPN is not necessary, some ask for details of the VPN I use etc.

My preference has always been to use a VPN but I'm not sure if I'll get grouped in with "higher risk" customers and put on specific higher risk servers?

It's always down to providers preference whether end users are allowed to use one or not.
Some will allow the use some won't tbh if a provider says don't use one then don't use one as they already have security in place and maybe less hassle for you in the long run.
Providers that allow the use of a vpn fair play to them for allowing it but vpns can reduce your isp speeds then end users are quick to blame the service e if buffering ect and won't look to there setup ie dramatic drop in speeds ect.

That makes sense, I guess it's just another layer of potential complication. From the end user perspective though it's a difficult mindset to just rely on the provider taking the necessary security measures.

Out of interest do you know of Nords "Dedicated IP" option? I assume that would eliminate the additional risk of using a VPN for the provider or is it not as good as I think?

That makes sense, I guess it's just another layer of potential complication. From the end user perspective though it's a difficult mindset to just rely on the provider taking the necessary security measures.

Out of interest do you know of Nords "Dedicated IP" option? I assume that would eliminate the additional risk of using a VPN for the provider or is it not as good as I think?
I can't say bud as I've never used a vpn with my provider tbh never used to use one for torrents ect

Most good vpn providers are ok to use with iptv now. Obviously I would say if you are not on full fibre don't use one.

Most good vpn providers are ok to use with iptv now. Obviously I would say if you are not on full fibre don't use one.
Thanks mike, agreed - I've used 2 different VPNs and never had an issue, at least nothing which wasn't solved by hopping to another server!

Most providers probably allow vpn's when football gets blocked . I'm on sky broadband and I do get blocked now and again so I just use my vpn for blocks and if I am downloading anything.

With VPNs I never understand if you are getting blocked, and say using Ghost VPN which I have (I don't get blocked but use it regardless) and set it to fastest location, which is always the Uk, would this unlock me if I was with Sky for example? Or would I need to use any location other than the UK?

The big ISP's have a list of known IP addresses (and endpoint FQDN) that they block for various reasons. Virgin 100% block the popular torrent sites. I've also experienced problems getting a Pay Per View boxing match to stream from known streaming site. As soon as I turned on a VPN (Cloudflare Warp), the stream immediately came to life.

I'm not saying ISPs can't or won't block IP's coming from known VPN sources, but I think this is unlikely. The big ISPs needs to be seen to be performing some sort of due diligence to fight online piracy. I don't think it really matters what country the connection is coming from, as long as it's not on their block list. If you really must use a VPN, then using one inside the UK is going to give you the best experience. FYI - I only ever really use Cloudflare WARP on my laptop to bypass ISP blocks for Torrent sites.

Alex - the way I understand is you should always use your fastest server.

The only time you'd worry about location is if something's geo locked. For example if you're out of the UK and want to access BBC iPlayer, or if you have a Netflix subscription and want to access another countries catalogue.

If you are just connecting to your IPTV providers server then you should just go with the fastest location.

With reguard to speed try if possible on App to change protocol to wireguard rather than openatv

Do IPTV providers prefer customers to have a VPN or does it increase the chances of shutdowns (by having potentially lots of connections from the same address)?

I've had some providers say a VPN is not necessary, some ask for details of the VPN I use etc.

My preference has always been to use a VPN but I'm not sure if I'll get grouped in with "higher risk" customers and put on specific higher risk servers?
Some providers encourage the use of VPN even if you don't need it with their service and I think customers should feel free about whether they want to use VPN or not and don't get told that you can't use a VPN and all that. Just my option tho

Sorry for newbie question but does this mean if using full fibre a VPN is essential? I assume ‘full fibre’ is FTTP? I have just signed up for FTTP so do I need to use a VPN?

I am UK based, if that matters!

Sorry for newbie question but does this mean if using full fibre a VPN is essential? I assume ‘full fibre’ is FTTP? I have just signed up for FTTP so do I need to use a VPN?

I am UK based, if that matters!
Regardless of whether you are on Full fibre or not VPN are use with IPTV to bypass blocks and for privacy as well. Some providers allow you to use VPN and some providers don't allow the use of VPN.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Back