Vpn/security setup options.

1vincent

Hello.
I hope this is in the correct place.

I am after some advice on what to do now as the UK has started the new digital law i think thats what its called.
My setup is pc and zgemma s connected to TP-link dual ethernet powerline upstairs which connects to another powerling that goes to the sly Q hub. Also upstairs i have a firestick. I have a sly hd box upstairs which a lodger owns and i have a hd box in the lounge on a 70% deal and i also have sly fibre in the deal.
I also download torrents but was thinking of getting a seedbox but now this law has started i am thing about a VPN.
What advice can anybody give me about the setup for the above and i was on another site yesterday and they mentioned a vpn router/box for about £18 on amazon that routes the traffic through that but that made me more confussed.
Thanks for any help/adice you may have.

The correct section would be in web & networking.

To have a vpn run well on a router you will need to pay out a fair amount for the router around £200+.

Most vpn providers will allow multi devices so just setup on each device is the best method (pc, firestick) no need to have every device running through it.

A seedbox does not really sound like the option is for you a vpn will be best I use this https://airvpn.org/?referred_by=201634 been with them for years always been great allowing 3 devices to be connected at once also very simple to setup they have guides on the site.

I was not sure what section to put this in.
Can the mods move it to the correct part please.

Thank you for the reply.
I did look at getting a vpn router but the cost is high and not sure if they will work on sly Q fibre hub.
I will look at Airvpn later.

This was a product i was looking at before,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/a3o/GL-M...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZGC5J5QBJP9EPM3C4CVS

Would that be an option and then get a VPN sub?

Thank you.

the box you have posted is a good option, as i believe it uses openvpn

iv got got a nighthawk x8 running dd-wrt and it can use openvpn and best thing i did ,
im using https://billing.smartydns.com/aff.php?aff=589 as i think its good for the price if you pay for 3 months, they also do a 3 day trial

best thing is im not losing any speed,but it is a dear router, give it a go

Last edited:
the box you have posted is a good option, as i believe it uses openvpn

I have experience of that box. Its vpn speed is more limited than I would have liked due to its spec. I do however agree openvpn is the vpn protocol to have.

I think it is difficult to recommend vpn options without knowing broadband feed specification, vpn speed requirement, budget and perhaps in some cases willingness/ability to implement, because of the trade-offs between these factors.

I think it is difficult to recommend vpn options without knowing broadband feed specification, vpn speed requirement, budget and perhaps in some cases willingness/ability to implement, because of the trade-offs between these factors.

I have 40mb fibre.
I would like to have an easy setup if possible but i am open to suggestions.
I have seen some vpn's for about £35 per year upto £70 but as long as it works with what i have then i will be happy.
If replacing the sly Q hub/router with a vpn router is hard then the mini router/vpn i linked to would go next to the sly hub and all my traffic runs through that and the into the sly hub. I think thats how i should set it up to protect myself.

Back