vpn

dougy b

hi gang anyone had problems with digibit vpn ,I paid loaded it ,turn it on ,bang all streaming stopped dead ,only came back on when I turned it off I reported it to digibit vpn last fri still waiting for answer

Tried two different VPNS and are fine for streaming, however when i run a speedtest i get about 10megabit, wheras without the VPN i get about 75megabit

Tried different servers too.

A quick Google search gave this answer......

A VPN is dependant on the speed of your connection to the Internet. ... In fact you should expect a small loss in speed when connecting to any VPN service due to the software having to encrypt every packet of data. This loss should be small, usually 10-20% when compared with your connection without a VPN.

A quick Google search gave this answer......

A VPN is dependant on the speed of your connection to the Internet. ... In fact you should expect a small loss in speed when connecting to any VPN service due to the software having to encrypt every packet of data. This loss should be small, usually 10-20% when compared with your connection without a VPN.

I know VPN is supposed to reduce the speed somewhat, but 75mb down to 10mb is a whole lot more of a loss than 20%

Try a different supplier if you aren't having luck with those that you tried.
I use PIA which is relatively popular, I get approx 80 down and 20 up without and approx 75 down and 20 up with it turned on.

it also depends on the server being used for VPN, if the vpn provider has a 10gb network card on the server and there are 100's users using it then each user is only going to get a fraction of that.

It depends on lots of things, but assuming the vpn provider is a major outfit, and you are picking a server in say uk (if you are in uk), then huge drops are nearly invariably due to the processing power of the machine you are running the vpn client on.

If you run vpn on most E2 stb, you are going to see a huge drop in speed from 75mbps, so are most routers costing under £100. They simply do not have cpus powerful enough to encrypt and decrypt beyond ~15mbps using a decent vpn protocol such as Openvpn.

One way to test the above is to run the provider's vpn client on a pc directly. Provided the pc is not too old and puny (like a chromebook), you are going to see vpn throughput in speedtest multiple times higher than what you are getting, and it is because most recent pc's have CPU with FPU onboard that suit the number crunching vpn encryption and decryption require.

The actual article linked to in this note has changed, but the figures provided for different router cpus in the note are consistent with my experience. Also see this.

Which device is this you are getting these speeds?

Who is the vpn providers?

I don't get this problem with the vpn provider I am with when I use it on one of my servers, laptop and when out phone.

I haven't tested VPN speeds for a while but I just tried Nord VPN connected to Albania and speed was 66 Mbit/s and 107 without.

On my Uno4k using openvix.

Which device is this you are getting these speeds?

Who is the vpn providers?

I don't get this problem with the vpn provider I am with when I use it on one of my servers, laptop and when out phone.

Tested on my PC ( windows ) and getting around 10mb with the vpn, and 75mb without.

Runs fine on my zgemma for iptv

using IPVanish

Tested on my PC ( windows ) and getting around 10mb with the vpn, and 75mb without.

Runs fine on my zgemma for iptv

using IPVanish

Who is your Internet provider?

When you do these speed test who are you using to do them? A lot of speed tests can be slow due to the server they are using.

streaming doesn't really need high speeds which is why that may appear fine

The last thing are you sure that you are not confusing the terms regarding your speed the whole mbps mbs etc confuses lots of people

Who is your Internet provider?

When you do these speed test who are you using to do them? A lot of speed tests can be slow due to the server they are using.

streaming doesn't really need high speeds which is why that may appear fine

The last thing are you sure that you are not confusing the terms regarding your speed the whole mbps mbs etc confuses lots of people

75megabit down without vpn
10megabit down with vpn
i usually use speedtest.net

75megabit down without vpn
10megabit down with vpn
i usually use speedtest.net

speedtest.net def can vary based on the server you select

whos your isp not VM by any chance?

try Netherlands servers on vpn and then some of the french servers for speedtest.net

I did have a friend who was with ipvanish about year ago he had speed issues so he switched over to one i use and problem went away until he switched his internet to VM

Just read through this thread and the speeds sounded very slow. So I have just tested my Samsung tablet wi fi speed, without vpn 59 mbps and with PIA vpn set to Netherlands 28 mbps. So I take a hit of about 50% but still fast enough for everything I want.

Hi, sorry for the newbie question...

Is a VPN strictly necessary? Do people use it to protect themselves or literally just as a way to counteract ISPs blocking content?

Hi, sorry for the newbie question...

Is a VPN strictly necessary? Do people use it to protect themselves or literally just as a way to counteract ISPs blocking content?

Both.
Streaming is not legal, so why you would not use a VPN is beyond me. They are quick, easy and cheap to setup

Back