What would you call high ecm

COYBIG!

My internet was at perfect speed this evening when I watched the united game and the game ran perfect with no glitches until two at the end and when I looked at the ecm at the glitches it was above 400 both times and fluctuating a lot and the second time it was at .621 is the cause or possibly is it internet?

Two at the end of a game isnt bad really and dosent always mean overcrowded server.
A overcrowded server would freeze alot more.
Your box and server need to communicate and a fluctuations in internet traffic at the time of communication can also cause freezing.
The high ecm is its taking longer for the box to connect to server

Last edited:
I see other days it glitches a lot in games with same times, so ecm doesn't necessarily mean a high number of people watching same channel?

Ok it's just frustrating when your trying to watch the football. Would it be different if I had fibre internet?

So more less it's my internet more than anything?
Remember speed isn't everything for this - the jitter & packet loss is much more important once you get above a basic level (there are people out there running these boxes over 3G phone networks).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss

Common sources of jitter & packet loss : poor quality network, overloading of segments of the network path, overloading of one or other endpoint

So it might be your internet provider, it might be your line provider (his server, his ISP) or it might be something between your ISP and your line provider's ISP...

One thing you can try is to switch off your router for a full thirty minutes and then back on. This will start a new session with your ISP and may sort out any niggling problems you're having.

Thanks but how would I work out which one is causing it lol?
Therein lies your problem. I'm sensing you're not highly technical - and to properly troubleshoot you need to be well on top of a packet sniffer & analysis of the results of your sniffing.

So your way forward:

1. Restart your router - might be that it has some issue where it changes behaviour after a long up time. do this and observe. Don't reboot it more than once per day.

2. If your ISP is one of the cheaper well-advertised ones - think about *why* they're likely to be cheaper (running an ISP network isn't cheap at any scale - so if you can squeeze a few more people in on each gigabit of your network and most people don't notice you can sell it cheaper to each one)

3. Try a test line from a different provider - perhaps your current provider has taken on more than he can reliably supply...

Back