Whats the big deal about MAG BOX?

Well I have a mag256 and bought it on a recommendation. If you want to utilize all the features like being able to record a stream you can.t on a 256 due to firmware problems. My provider allows recording..but very dissapointed that you can not record for more than 20 seconds or so on a 256. It may zap channels faster..if i were you. I would opt for the mag254.
I assumed getting the newer model would be best. Another user who has a 254 can record whatever he wants.
So make your decision..if you don.t need to record get a 256.
Wow! So you're saying that the older Mag254 allows for recording, but the newer Mag 256 whilst it changes menus faster, does not allow recording from it!? Well, for me being able to record is far more important than changing tabs, channels fractionally faster - I think I'll go for the Mag254 in that case. (Out of curiousity, by the way the 256, whilst not allowing for recording as you say, it does still allow you to pause live TV/stream and rewind a stream, right, that's a basic need I would have thought?)

Yes the mag250/254 allow recording. So I thought the 256 would too..but it does.nt. Yes you can pause a stream..if you set the buffer size up in settings. And put a usb drive or big flash usb in.
I hav.nt tried rewind or ff yet.
But i would much rather record what I want. After all the box is.nt cheap..if your not strapped for cash there are better boxes available that have a sly type menu..etc.

Yes the mag250/254 allow recording. So I thought the 256 would too..but it does.nt. Yes you can pause a stream..if you set the buffer size up in settings. And put a usb drive or big flash usb in.
I hav.nt tried rewind or ff yet.
But i would much rather record what I want. After all the box is.nt cheap..if your not strapped for cash there are better boxes available that have a sly type menu..etc.
Thanks for the reply, yes that's really odd that the newer version doesn't have a recording facility as recording is still a useful option even in this day and age of streaming.

Personally. I would.nt go near a Mag box again. The 256 is rubbish. Needs updated firmware to be able to record. Which my line provider has allowed.
You need the older boxes 250/254. I forked out nearly £90. For nothing that my Smart TV can do almost as good for a 5er.

Personally. I would.nt go near a Mag box again. The 256 is rubbish. Needs updated firmware to be able to record. Which my line provider has allowed.
You need the older boxes 250/254. I forked out nearly £90. For nothing that my Smart TV can do almost as good for a 5er.
I keep reading your posts on how bad a box the 256 is and you say it needs firmware updates and I totally disagree, it is a superior box to the 250/254 and if your supplier is being truthful with you when saying they allow recording you are obviously doing something wrong if you can not get it to record for for full duration of programmes as I think myself and you discussed this in previous threads and I have actually accomplished recording full programmes on the 256 when a supplier allows recording on the server side and personally I think you are giving wrong information to newcomers enquiring about mag boxes when it is quite probably one of the best boxes you can get for using IPTV, and to say that an app on a smart tv can compare to a mag box I think you are not giving people who are interested in finding out the correct information about mag boxes anywhere near the right information.

I have tried importing the m3u file into the home media centre.and attempted recording from the inner portal.
Another mag box user using the same supplier i have Can record from the Stalker gui.Using his 254 mag box.
There is no delete on failed recordings.
I suggest you post the knowledge on how to record on a mag 256 and help.
This post is from another forum.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by veronicas
They ALL say that you cannot record in Stalker portals. Only in the internal portal through an m3u list/file. I'm not sure why you would think that your case would be any different? I've tested it on a Stalker portal that allows recording but that's exactly what happens - 20 or so seconds of recording, and then it stops.

If you want to record, you have to do it in the inner portal either with an m3u file or a random stream you found online somewhere. Unfortunately no one can help you fix this because it just doesn't work...
So why does it work fine on my 254 box then!!!

It seems not just myself having this issue. I am trying to record from the inner portal with the latest firmware. My line provider DOES allow recording.
So can you please share your wisdom with me. There are plenty of other mag256 owners experiencing the same problem as me..perhaps we.re all just not clued up enough.?
I cant find a single video on youtube on recording on a mag256..plenty on a 254. And better GuI on the 254.
My opinion does not agree with yours thats fine.
There are problems yet to be ironed out with the 256.
This is a community forum from informir.
https://community.infomir.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1045
Do me a favour and tell me where im going wrong please.
Cheers

Reactions: PCM
We have had this discussion in another thread and yes you do have to record on a 256 from the inner portal with a multiroom sub and in my opinion the 256 is superior to the other mag boxes because I know from personal experience that it is faster at channel changing and going through the tv guide and the main thing is that it plays the newer codecs that the 254/250 can't and never will be able to more and more suppliers are starting to use for VOD and for the problems to be ironed out that you mention if you could give some indication of what problems you are having then maybe I could be of some assistance or are the problems you refer to that you just can not record through the stalker portal, the link you posted is just 1 person asking the question on the infomir site as I myself don't see any problems on my box that need to be ironed out, and don' take this the wrong way as I genuinely have no way of telling but do you just use techkings for your information as when it comes to iptv there are far more informative sites on the internet and if you are using a decent supplier they will have their own user forums for any problems you are facing. There could be numerous factors why you cant record like do you have multiroom, may be some settings are not correct on the box, have you checked you have a genuine box not a clone have you tried different usb's are just a few and the reason I had to post about your comments is that personally to me they have started to sound like rants rather than giving people interested in mag boxes genuine good advice and letting them make an informed decision like telling them a smart tv app can do the same thing. I personally use a smart tv app on LG 4k smart tv, Nvidia Shield tv using perfect player and dedicated app from supplier, mag 254 and mag 256 and for ease of use, ease of set up,family friendly device and full features personally I think the mag 256 is by far the best device.

Would you advise getting the ethernet version or the wireless version on the Mag 256?
I have a mag 256 w1 and although the wifi works very well what I found was that my speed drops from 76mb on wired connection to 23mb on wifi which can be quite a sizeable drop if you have not got great speeds to start with

Which version of the MagBox 256 would you guys recommend?

http://max-digital.co.uk/mag256w2.html
It has 600 MPS (dual band) does that mean you can either use a wired net connection or use it wireless?

OR

http://max-digital.co.uk/mag-256w1.html
This has 150MPS

Are both the boxes wired as well as wireless and do they suport VOD?
Both boxes are able to be used wired or wifi if the box has a (w) after the 256/254 it means it is wifi also, both are the same boxes only the (w2) has a higher transfer rate speed if your internet could get anywhere near that rate they both support VOD capabilitîes but that would also be supplier dependent

I'm getting 23MPS which is no where near 150MPS or 600MPS the Magboxes support, so hard wired is the way to go so will get the
http://max-digital.co.uk/mag-256w1.html

Both boxes are able to be used wired or wifi if the box has a (w) after the 256/254 it means it is wifi also, both are the same boxes only the (w2) has a higher transfer rate speed if your internet could get anywhere near that rate they both support VOD capabilitîes but that would also be supplier dependent

Back