Wifi attachment recommendations

I've tried other adapters and didn't get any to work. This one does work without doing anything. The adapter with the Ralink chipset doesn't need any f***ing around with it to get it to work.

The smart arses are out in force tonight.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Oooo1234

The Edimax EW-7811Un is as plug’n’play as you can get (on current versions of iPab and Wooshbuild; both based on OpenATV).
I don’t know about vix but I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t similar (especially after a quick Google).

Bit more detail...
Box is about 15 feet from the router, one plasterboard wall in between.

I originally installed the Edimax on the iPab v1.3 build (where it is the recommended dongle) – simple set up (as per iPab author’s instructions and Bigdrinks’ post above) and rock solid.

This morning I re-flashed (the missus’s perfectly working box!) with Wooshbuild V5 - which was as quick and simple as everyone says.
I then removed the ethernet cable to see if the Edimax would install from the standard Wooshbuild.
The Edimax installed as per previous instructions – working, rock solid, no additional drivers required.
The Edimax’s chipset is Realtek RTL8188CUS and it installs (on Wooshbuild, can’t remember iPab) as “WLAN connection 8192cu wireless network interface”.

I would have tried vix but she’s come home and caught me red-handed on the bed with an assortment of USB sticks...and wants to watch “E!”!

Full disclosure – the Edimax has gone back to our Raspberry Pi and we actually use TP-Link powerline adapters https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4020P...ion-Required/dp/B01M16AZTI/ref=dp_ob_title_ce because we got them cheap...but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Edimax otherwise.

Hope this helps you and others.

Oooo1234

The Edimax EW-7811Un is as plug’n’play as you can get (on current versions of iPab and Wooshbuild; both based on OpenATV).
I don’t know about vix but I’d be very surprised if it wasn’t similar (especially after a quick Google).

Bit more detail...

I originally installed the Edimax on the iPab v1.3 build (where it is the recommended dongle) – simple set up (as per iPab author’s instructions and Bigdrinks’ post above) and rock solid.

This morning I re-flashed (the missus’s perfectly working box!) with Wooshbuild V5 - which was as quick and simple as everyone says.
I then removed the ethernet cable to see if the Edimax would install from the standard Wooshbuild.
The Edimax installed as per previous instructions – working, rock solid, no additional drivers required.
The Edimax’s chipset is Realtek RTL8188CUS and it installs (on Wooshbuild, can’t remember iPab) as “WLAN connection 8192cu wireless network interface”.

I would have tried vix but she’s come home and caught me red-handed on the bed with an assortment of USB sticks...and wants to watch “E!”!

Full disclosure – the Edimax has gone back to our Raspberry Pi and we actually use TP-Link powerline adapters https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4020P...ion-Required/dp/B01M16AZTI/ref=dp_ob_title_ce because we got them cheap...but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Edimax otherwise.

Never tried the Edimax myself but its good to know that works well too. Thanks

Great story btw [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Last edited:
Oooo1234

Bit more detail...

"Caught you red handed on the bed with an assortment of USB sticks" lol better than being caught other ways I guess lol

Thanks for the insightful message details!

96d1c9bf1f1d1c3d45b3a8690f57071c.jpg

A cheap fleabay wifi adapter I got today, worked straight away with no faffing,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well maybe the newer builds and later versions of atv may do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Itskenallen is correct. This dongle works perfectly and connects my H2s to my iPhone hotspot and uses very little data.
Make sure you accurately type in your encryption key.
Nice one Bud. Thanks

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Itskenallen is correct. This dongle works perfectly and connects my H2s to my iPhone hotspot and uses very little data.
Make sure you accurately type in your encryption key.
Nice one Bud. Thanks

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk
What encryption did u use? WPA & WPA2?

Back