Wifi Dongle

jmcgu13

I ordered a Skybox F5 earlier on but I forgot to order a WiFi dongle.

Will a WiFi dongle from Argos work on the box??

An ethernet cable is the best way to connect your box, there are various dongles that work.

The tv is located too far from the router so I'd need a dongle.

Could you post a link to a dongle that would work? I would really appreciate it.

Don't particularly want to buy one online as I don't want to be waiting on the item to be delivered.

would I get one in pc world or argos?

You can't by a wifi USB for skybox as they are a non uk box and not openly known

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's amazon ! He stated about walking into PC world lol

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically the only wifi dongle I can buy is the official sky box one?

any other wifi dongles from argos won't work then

No as they are semi coded firmwared to skybox f3 upwards for the wifi manager part

just buy some homeplugs. cheaper online but you will be able to get them from pc world. or somewhere like that.

The official WiFi dongle is based around the Railink 5370 chip set as are WiFi dongles for most similar functioning receivers. Theoretically, another WiFi dongle with that chipset could work but your money would be better invested in Home plugs.

The official WiFi dongle is based around the Railink 5370 chip set as are WiFi dongles for most similar functioning receivers. Theoretically, another WiFi dongle with that chipset could work...

That's right. I bought a cheap wifi dongle last year for a laptop. I have used it in an Openbox X3 & it works perfectly. Just tried it in an F5 & working fine in that as well.

It uses the RALINK 5370 chipset, & just £3.45 with free postage.

WIFI 150MBPS WIRELESS ADAPTOR 802.11 B G N LAN NETWORK MINI USB DONGLE ADAPTER | eBay

No as they are semi coded firmwared to skybox f3 upwards for the wifi manager part

If that's the case, how come a normal wifi dongle works OK?

Does the official dongle provide anything more than a normal dongle does?

If that's the case, how come a normal wifi dongle works OK?

Does the official dongle provide anything more than a normal dongle does?

I think you've just confirmed my theory. The Skybox OS will only include the driver for it's own dongle. An alternative 5370 based dongle works as a result because it is able to function under that driver.

That would explain why it worked with your 3rd party dongle but not most others.

Back