wifi trouble

ralphie67

hi guys i live in hull so have to go with kcom i am on the so called all singing all dancing light stream.I keep having problems with the wifi speeds tonight happened again i sat with laptop next to the router they supplied and my speed which is 75 mbs when the ethernet is plugged in was 0.53 mbs. when i ring them they say it is interfeerence from something but cant tell me what. i am not a techy so was wondering if this is normal

The thing to try is probably use an ethernet cable and test to see if they are just making excuses.
I cant recall if this is exactly right, but using VM here, and several other neighbours do to, so i had to edit "frequency" on modem, so we werent all on the same one.

is your router near anything electrical ?
you could try turning electrical things off 1 by 1 checking speed as u go
if speed comes back then thats ur prob.

just turned it off and on again and its working fine havent changed any off my electricals kcom told me they only supply the internet connection not wifi dont know if this is right either.not sure what you mean by homeplugs

home plugs are used from router to home plug with lan cable other room far away in mansion has another home plug to a box or hub by lan cable.

no there are no homeplugs.the thing is if everytime i turn the router of and on and it works fine then surely this would be some proof that it is not interference it is the router or am i wrong

as mentioned you might have a conflict of channels, download a wifi analyser from google play or some where for your smart phone, that way you can check if you have interference from channels with a neighbour, even better if you can, use 5ghz that way there's loads of channels and a much better chance of not being "bled" over by some one.

(as you can see here there's 3 people on channel 6 where only one on channel 1 and 11)

04_03_2018_19_09_18.jpg

04_03_2018_18_22_17.jpg

Last edited:
If you are that close just use a cable.

Check drivers for network card and then do as other have suggested trying different channel also wireless doesn't always work that great if you are really close by.

Last thing what other devices do you have connected this can affect speed

had this on a Lenovo laptop. You tried disabling Bluetooth adaptor as it messes with Wifi, Big Time!!

To get Device Manager, the easiest way is start menu, select Device Manager then look for Network Adapters, click on it then look for Bluetooth. Right click on your Bluetooth Adapter and select Disable. Reboot and test wifi speeds ;)

Back