windows not genuine error

i bought a laptop last april from pc world i havent used it much since september so i had it down today updated java and abobe and updates after updates were installed it had to restart to finishe updates like it always does.when it restarted it now tells me that my copy of windows is not genuine and now have a black screen.

iv never seen this before nad never had this problem before.
:whacko:

What version of windows are you using and is there a sticker on the underneath of your laptop with a windows product key anywhere, should also state what version of windows the key is matched too?
There is a simple fix for this but lets go the legal route first eh :)

What version of windows are you using and is there a sticker on the underneath of your laptop with a windows product key anywhere, should also state what version of windows the key is matched too?
There is a simple fix for this but lets go the legal route first eh :)

i dont do nothing the legal way axxo lol

my neice has the same problem with windows XP... going to sort it out the illegal way myself, legal way doesnt give much satisfaction LOL

i never thought this problem would occur with genuine windows from the likes of PC World

I know what you mean j4v3d
I want him to compare the key shown on the bottom of the laptop to the key thats in the system options of the control panel and the compare the version of windows shown.
Its either a version of windows paddy put on himself or a dodgy copy from pc world!

If its a dodgy copy and still has receipt,straight back to them and demand a new laptop or its off to the press with you
If its one you put on yourself shame on you but welcome to the club,fairly easy to sort out thou

OS is windows 7 genuine home premium from PC world.i reactivated windows using the activation code on the back of the laptop and its now activated again,i wonder ws it something to do with microsoft updates but dont see why this should happen to a genuine pc from pc world,it came whit w7 already loaded on it brand new in the box,also this laptop had rarely been used since august,also problem I'm having with this laptop is it not powering on most of the time i have to plug the power in even if there's a full battery then i can plug it out and its grand is this because i let the battrey run down completly for so long????:idea:

It could be dead cells in the battery.
I would take the laptop back and demand a new one or at least a new battery, you should not be having these kind of problems with a fairly new laptop.
As for the problems you had with windows 7 not being genuine, I have read that the key number contained on the HD is just a generic one they use to register the os with microsoft, if you do a reinstall you have to use the one on the bottom of the laptop.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool

Paddy could you download and run the diagnostic tool shown above, it will give information on your key and just a general check to see if everything is with the activation.
Once you run the diagnostic block your key in the results and then post them here. If you like.
Could be a simple thing like the updates or something to do with the bios effecting the resulting windows not being genuine problem.
Also check the manufacturers website to see if theres a BIOS update.
This MAY help power issues your having, may not either but its always a good idea to keep it up to date.

Last edited:
That looks fine paddy, i would imagine its the update that caused the problem.
Can you list the updates that were installed?
Dont worry about it that much if you dont want to as it should be fine.
Check for an update to the bios though.
Will the latop switch on everytime with JUST the power supply attached and NO battery?

im having the same problem for the 2nd time the first time i sent it back to the shop and he said it was sorted or so i thought a couple of months later and now i have the same problem i ran axxxo's diagnostics tool and where it says Validation Status it says Invalid Licence i tried to copy the image like paddy did but i couldnt post it in my reply ,now my query is should i ask for a new laptop or try to get him to fix the problem its not a back street shop its a well known electronics store so i would be very surprised if they are selling fake products ,any help much appreciated (y)

I would take it back to the shop, explain to them you are still having the same problem as before and also tell them to make sure windows is activated properly before you pick it up from them.

Id bring it back alright but id ask to be shown what their going to do to fix it, to make sure they aint gonna do somethin sneaky and so you you would know what to do yourself if it happened again, either that or demand an installation disk!
From what ive read also from other forums it could be based on the bios type not being the same as the actual laptop, for instance a toshiba laptop with HP bios.
On OEM machines, preinstalled with windows this causes a problem after certain updates where windows checks itself to be genuine and fails, think i got that right anyway :)
Anyway as i always suggest, update the bios if you can and check the product key on the bottom of the laptop, try activating windows with it, if it works out then i wouldnt worry about it too much.
You could also email the manufacturer and tell them the problem, give them your P/N of the laptop and product key, see if they give some sort of reply other than bring it back to the shop!

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool

Paddy could you download and run the diagnostic tool shown above, it will give information on your key and just a general check to see if everything is with the activation.
Once you run the diagnostic block your key in the results and then post them here. If you like.
Could be a simple thing like the updates or something to do with the bios effecting the resulting windows not being genuine problem.
Also check the manufacturers website to see if theres a BIOS update.
This MAY help power issues your having, may not either but its always a good idea to keep it up to date.

hi, could you check mine please and tell me what it means, i dont have a sticker on new sony vaio windows 8, when i just done this i noticed the first 10 dijits or letters are missing from acctivation key, should i be worried, many thanksView attachment 8032

when you do a fresh install there is an update from windows pertaining to illegal copies.the update # is kb971033.this update is not checked for install and is not mandatory.its similar to the old windows genuine advantage.could be this that is giving you trouble.i just hide the update so i dont have to keep looking at it.i dont really know any other way around it.HAHAHA.

@eileen

If the computer is running fine I would not worry about it, if you want to get the whole key number look for a program called Belarc Advisor or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, these programs will scan for the Windows 8 key, write it down and keep it in a safe place.
You will not find a sticker on the laptop case as the Windows 8 activation key is encrypted and stored in the bios.

Back