Would a guide to your own VPN be good?

SnowManUK

Hi All,

I use OpenVPN from my E2 box to a UK based private VPN Server I run for F&F.

Would a setup guide for your E2 box and Linux VPS be useful for you guys?

I have seen Sky/BT/ISP's are going to start blocking/rate limiting IPTV streams as they find them.

With your own VPN the ISP will only see data to/from a server on port 443 (SSL), it might look like video (size/stream) but they could not prove/block anything.

You can get UK VPS for a few £ per month (gbservers/krystal/cheapvps/etc.) and with your own, you can have as many connections as you want.
I have my Phone/iPad/Laptop/E2 boxes etc. all able to connect on demand.

You will need to be basic Linux capeable to look after it too.

If not, I would look into a VPN service that offers certificate based authentication, as User/Pass on the E2's is a pain. Cert auth works like a diamond.

Me too....

Can I suggest people consider getting a dd-wrt type router and connect that to their existing router. In this way you are creating a second network in your house/apartment. Then you 'put' the VPN service onto the dd-wrt router. You leave less sensitive devices (for the want of better terminology) working on the first router and connect any iptv or android boxes to the second router. You just need to select an appropriate provider.

I expect some newbies like myself could use some sensible advice from people who have experience in such matters. I have the dd-wrt router installed and was about to purchase a PUREVPN service until I saw a post here that undermined that choice before I purchased their service. I presume an excellent PING rate is necessary and Purevpn's reviews boasted such. However, not all reviews are accurate. Buyer beware.

Back