Windows XP XP Install on Asus eeepc 4g

Hi Guys,

I have an eee pc 4g netbook which has a built in hdd of 4gb and is not upgradeable. I was wondering if there is a way of installing XP on it as a cut down version?

I also have a 4gb sd card and I'm frustrating myself trying to mount that as a secondary hdd. It has taken up 97% of the hdd space after the xp installation (prev Linux). I want to install iTunes on my netbook but, I'm stuck in every possible way I can think of. I have tried a few ways after googling but to no avail. Anyone push me with a little guide please.
Basically, I want to be able to use my sd card to store all the excess stuff I download and also boot a few programs from it if I can't do the cut down xp install.

Thanks

A base install of windows xp should be in the 1.5 to 2.0Gb range. Unless you have already installed some other programs, it should not be using 97% of your drive space. Not real sure how it affects SSD as compared to HDD but on a typical harddisk having it filled to that capacity would absolutely kill its performance. Did you do a completely clean install? Wipe the drive in some manner and reformat or did it save any factory restore or backup partitions?

When installed fresh I did a full format of the hdd. If I was to reinstall it, what would I need to do to do it like you stated?

Thanks

That should be all you had to do morashid679.

According to Microsofts website:

At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

That should take around 37% of your total disk space [4GB]

Unless Windows Update has been downloading updates without your knowledge, thats the only think I can think of at the moment. "Quick Format NTFS" is the option you should be looking for with a Windows XP Installation disk..

I'll try re-installing again.

Also I want to use my sd card as a second hdd but, all the options I found on goggle don't work for me.

Is there any suggestions you have for me please.

Thanks

I dont think that will work...

But if you have a built in SD card reader than I suppose you could just leave it in there at all times and store data/programs on that?

(using it as removable storages and not a HDD as its an SD card)

You can try reinstalling and formatting the ssd to fat32, XP will install to that just fine and since its only a 4 gig ssd you need not worry about it being ntfs or not :) when selecting the option to format don't select quick format.
Beware of the XP version your using, there may be bloatware installed on it depending where you got it from.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

What's bloatware???

I'm using a xp sp2 disc which I got from a friend and the key from the netbook.

Could that be the case???

I think the drivers disc which I got with the netbook is very big. I remember they take up a lot of space. I only install relevant drivers
i.e VGA (otherwise the screen is out of place) LAN, WLAN.

Thanks

Last edited:
I dont think that will work...

But if you have a built in SD card reader than I suppose you could just leave it in there at all times and store data/programs on that?

(using it as removable storages and not a HDD as its an SD card)

Hi Dan,

If I try to use as an external storage the (itunes) installer states there is not enough space in my hdd and I need to remove programs or delete them or choose another destination but, I can't select the other destination i.e sd card.

Is there not enough space on your actual HDD?

Perhaps you can move some data from your HDD to the SD card and try installing iTunes on the HDD with Windows on it?

I'm not quite sure, but normally you should be allowed to chose any destination that Windows detects to install programs..

Back