Windows 10 You can now install Windows 10 via Windows Update

j4v3d

VIP Member
windows-10-update-590x330.jpg

Microsoft has just given Windows users one more way to experiment with Windows 10. You don’t have to be an Insider to do it, either. You just need to download and run a small executable to kickstart the Windows Update process.

You can’t simply head to Windows Update on your computer and find it under the optional updates section. It’s still a bit early in the Windows 10 development process for Microsoft to make it available there — they don’t want unwary users installing an unfinished and potentially buggy OS, after all.

Once you run the program you download, your machine (physical or virtual) will reboot and the Windows Update process will kick in and pull down the Windows 10 Preview bits and start the installation. It’s not really any easier than grabbing and mounting the .ISO file or using the streaming installer Microsoft had already made available, but it’s an important step towards realizing Microsoft’s overall vision for Windows 10.

They want adoption to be as close to 100% as possible when Windows 10 is finally released, and that means they have to make the process of upgrading a machine running Windows 7 or Windows 8 as painless as possible. It needs to be so simple that even the laziest of Windows users can’t avoid it.

That means it can’t be shoved inside the Windows Store like Windows 8.1 was. Microsoft might make the Windows 10 update available there, too, but not everyone who’s running Windows 8 or 8.1 is a fan of the Metro interface or the Store. Many are quite happy booting straight to the desktop and never venture over to the other side. Windows Update is also a more logical choice since it’s the only conduit Microsoft can use to push the upgrade to Windows 7 users.

Microsoft knows Windows 10 needs to be a winner, and they know they need all their users to upgrade. They’ve already made it free, now they’re trying their best to make sure it’s also a hassle-free process, too.

Code:
http://www.geek.com/microsoft/you-can-now-install-windows-10-via-windows-update-1615090/

Hi auldforgi,

I am new to this forum and found that Windows 10 is available for free. Did you have any problems installing Windows 10 on you laptop, as I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro installed? Just wondering if I need to do anything before installation, such as de-installing any software, etc.? Thanks in anticipation.

Sorry about the late reply been on hols, I downloaded windows 10 from microsoft site as an ISO disc and then used a microsoft program to create a bootable USB stick with windows 10 on it. Made sure my laptop would boot up from usb and then installed windows 10 on a separate ssd which I swapped for the one I use for windows 8.1 . Windows 10 is still in beta form and updates and changes can happen without choice. Microsoft admit that at the moment they can track how you use this program and do collect data and also recommend you do not use it as your main program, if you install it over windows 8.1 you may not be able to reinstate 8.1 be carefull and check first

Have been using Windows 10 Beta (on desktop, laptop and mobile) for a few months now - while it (obviously) has its share of bugs these have noticeably reduced and are outweighed by the new features. Win 10 phone has considerably more glitches - have frequently came close to switching back to 8.1 on my phone.

Just finished updating and having a quick nose at what's new, had problems to begin with in my windows update it kept showing windows 10 update failed error code 80240020 looked on the net and found this solution and it worked first time.

There is nothing scarier than installing Windows 10 on your machine and coming up with an error message. If you see error 80240020, it means that something in your Windows 10 installation folder is either corrupted or didn't complete. Here's how to fix it.

1. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything in the folder.

2. As an administrator, run the command prompt. Type wuauclt.exe /updatenow then hit the return button

3. Go to Control Panel > Windows Update. Windows 10 should start re-downloading.

If all goes well, you won't have any issues when Windows 10 downloads again

after that just follow instructions until install complete, what I found when installing when it got to configuring 87% it took that long to move on I thought it had frozen but all OK.
PS If you have the same problem I had, the files you delete from the folder are still in your recycle bin so just restore them.

---------- Post Merged at 11:25 PM ----------

Still got all my old files and programmes, layout totally different but edge the replacement for internet explore much faster, make a note of all your old passwords as you will have no automatic log in until you save them again in Win10.

i have been using windows 10 since 29th august upgrade ,my laptop was nightmare to use on windows 8.1 and now it is a joy ,i personally i am very happy with it so far .
it was easy to install as it did it itself

Back