Your Android Phone is Spying On You, Use custom ROM To Protect your Privacy

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
carrier+iq.jpg

In this digital age, privacy is more important than ever. Just because you “don’t have anything to hide,” does not mean that you shouldn’t value your privacy or fight for it when companies do things like this, especially with something as personal as your cell phone.

An Android developer recently discovered a clandestine application called Carrier IQ built into most smartphones that doesn't just track your location; it secretly records your keystrokes, and there's nothing you can do about it. Is it time to put on a tinfoil hat? That depends on how you feel about privacy. In the nearly 20-minute video clip, Eckhart shows how software developed by mobile-device tracker Carrier IQ logs each keystroke and then sends them off to locations unknown. In addition, when Eckhart tried placing a call, Carrier IQ's software recorded each number before the call was even made.

Eckhart started making waves across the privacy community earlier this month after he dug into software developed by Carrier IQ that, he said, runs behind the scenes in Android-based devices to track what users are doing. Eckhart called the software a "rootkit," due to its ability to access device data while concealing its presence.

As one might expect, Carrier IQ took offense to Eckhart's claim, saying that its software is a "diagnostic tool" for companies to "improve the quality of the network, understand device issues, and ultimately improve the user experience." The company also sent Eckhart a cease-and-desist letter and demanded he issue an apology for calling its software a rootkit.

You don't need to be on a custom ROM, you can safely remove the carrier iq from your phone or from adb.

I wonder do they have it on my phone??

nokia-3310-troubleshooting.jpg

people have to take their privacy more and more seriously the more that technology moves on. It could also end up being a security issue, people tracking you, whilst breaking into your house, etc.

I wonder do they have it on my phone??

View attachment 3935

people have to take their privacy more and more seriously the more that technology moves on. It could also end up being a security issue, people tracking you, whilst breaking into your house, etc.

lol wheelo - at times its better to have a standard old phone LOL

Same thing is on the iPhone

How to disable on the iPhone

simply navigate to Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics and Usage and then toggle it to “Don’t Send”.

Android is a bit more difficult, check out the link or use a custom ROM

xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV|APPv7] CIQ / HTC & Google Checkin / HTC loggers / Tell HTC Info & Removal

Here's a vid to demonstrate how serious it all is, check out the part where its reading HTTPS!

[video=youtube;T17XQI_AYNo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo[/video]

Back