zgemma H2S won't flash

No I am really new had openvix image on before but started to get the audio narrator on he movie channels and lost sound on a few so decided to reset it and do a new image but just can' seem to get it to read my usb. I might be doing somin wrong but like I say I'm new and not the best when it comes to this stuff
I don't think you are doing anything wrong zgemmas can be nightmares to flash they are so picky when it comes to usb sticks. I have 4 different makes of receiver and the only one that gives me grief is the zgemma.

I recently turned my zgemma of but at the mains power instead of the back white button on the zgemma box, when i turned zgemma box back on it just flashed with a red light on front panel, i tried re-flashing several times but with no joy, just keeps flashing red light, i copied zgemma folder correctly to usb, i used correct download for H.2S version, i tried 5 usb sticks 3 of those cruzer blade which i originally used first time when i had zgemma and worked good but since i turned it off incorrectly it just flashes a red light after trying many times, Any ideas please what i can do, Im thinking maybe i have damaged the box....? is it caput :-/

Hi Beakyford, yes i formatted it to FAT32 it just doesnt want to work im thinking i have buggerd the box up :-/

I doubt its damaged, a fat32 format alone is not enough, the box has a linux file system & alters the usb's mbr after flashing if left in place when the box boots up so you need to prep the usb again from scratch, give your usb a full format with hddguru then a full fat32 format with windows before loading image or follow the link above (instructions come with the download)

I originally had it flashed with ipab so i tried using it again but also today i tried wooshbuild but still nothing, when i format the usb i tend to do a quick format, do you think it might help if i unticked this ?

quick format will not work, you need to FULL low level format & then FULL fat32 format to prep the usb correctly

Last edited:
prep the usb correctly, load the correct image in the correct way & 99% of the time the box will flash... many new members skip steps or dont bother at all then think their box is dead...its hard to kill these little boxes, if you still have issues start over with another usb.

powering down the box via the rear power button or at the socket shouldnt damage the box but it is bad practice, the correct way to power down is hold the on/off button on the remote then place the box in deep standby & allowing the box to shut down fully before removing power.

Last edited:
used BOOTICE to-partition disk like it says in instructions, now im doing a full fat32 format on windows, when that is done i will open zip folder and copy the zgemma folder to the usb, when you say a low level not sure i know how you do that ?

running bootice or hddguru does this for you so your on the right track, the larger the usb capacity the longer it takes to prep so its a good idea to use the smallest usb you can find, I keep a few 2gb/4gb pen drives just for flashing & use larger usb's (16gb upwards, ntfs formatted) to be used as media/storage

Last edited:
Hi Beakyford, i have done a full format correctly transfered image to usb, was up till early hours tried 3 different types of usb and absolutely nothing it just flashes the red light on front panel :-/ is ther any way a zgemma can be wired up to a laptop with a usb lead so maybe can be worked on somehow, just an idea, maybe not tho im guessing?

This is what I would do:
download hddguru (dont think we are permitted to place links) search in google & use the one that says: -
Download Windows Executable (works without installation): HDD Low Level Format Tool ver.4.40

put your usb in pc/laptop then open the hddguru program & select your usb from the list & perform a FULL not quick low-level-format (will take 30 to 40 mins for a 16gb pen drive).

Next perform a fat32 format with Windows (FULL not quick, again will take 30 plus mins to complete).

now your usb is in the correct state for the box to read it...
you now need to load an image, to rule out image problems I would use an ATV nightly, search google for ATV nightly & select your box make/model (Zgemma's are listed under AirDigital)

place the zgemma folder on your usb then open the folder, open H3 folder, you will see a file called...noforce....rename this file to...force...save & exit (image will now auto boot when box is powered on).

turn box power supply on at the wall socket (best not to use an extension lead if possible), make sure the rear power button on the zgemma is in the OUT/OFF position...place usb in the rear usb port of the box....

Power the box up by pressing the rear power button to the IN /ON position....watch the front panel of the box....it should show boot....then FLSH....sit back & allow it to flash the box (takes 30 seconds to a minute to flash).

as soon as the box reboots & shows BOOT remove/pull the usb....box will boot up & show the setup screens for 1st setup...continue to set box up using remote & you should have the base functions working, power down the box using the remote (deep standby) then put the rear power button into the OUT/OFF position.
IF all goes well you can then place the usb back in your pc/laptop again & remove/delete the nightly base image then load your backup image of choice on the usb (WBv7 or any other H2S backup build). Place usb in rear port of box & power the box up via the rear button & the box should show boot then FLSH...

Last edited:
Ye i tried pressing front button after powering on,,,,, Oh ok so is there a download for the base ATV and the Bootloader ?

Back