£200 Budget, Which Box To Get??

amb

Sorry gents a silly question comming up.

Mother in law currently paying for sky TV and I'd like to switch her to a free sat box for the obvious reasons.

2 main factors are needed.

1. I'd like to use openvix as it seems to be the closet to a sky epg I've seen.

2.she would like to record one channel to internal hd and watch a different one.

Now my question is what box could I look at with a budget of £200 ?

Thanks for anyone that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Zgemma H2S twin tuner satellite £77.50
Eddison mini twin tuner satellite £99.00
Xtrend et8000 twin tuner satelitte £159.00
Miracle box premium twin tuner £199.00

You will need add a Hdd to the cost of the above some boxes can be internal some external, try WOS

1. I'd like to use openvix as it seems to be the closet to a sky epg I've seen.
It is not vix that does this, it is the person who made the skin.

If it is Kiddac's Slyk HD skin it is the closest think to sky there is.

2 Images come to mind to be the closest to a Sly box and that is Sucmnsee's vix image and WooshBuild v2.50 which runs OpenATV. Both run on the zgemma H2S which will be ample box for your mum in law, but no internal hard drive. But with a USB stick or 2.5" HDD at the back you don't see it. £80

Last edited:
Hence the newbie warning lol thanks guys that's a massive help. Think I'll purchase a hs2 and look to load kiddaks skin.

I did look at the vu range they look the nuts but I'm not at that budget just yet. Plus I don't think the in laws would notice the difference.

if you get the in-laws a zgemma and run Openvix you will have to make they don't update the software via the update option in Vix, this will causes problems as the zgemma range is not "officially" supported by Openvix, if you want a supported box then any from WoS will do

Just when your talking about cheap and expensive boxes. What is the difference or what can the £200 box do that the h2s at £80 can't do. I have the h2s seems to work but never tested and expensive ones

For example if you buy the etrend et8000 you can have a HHD internally fitted. Comes with a two warranty and you will have support for openvix.
I would always buy the box you can afford, I spent £315 (not the Xtrend) on one and it's flawless. I also run two zgemma's which still after months of tweeks let me down occasionally

For the money the zgemma isn't a bad box, cheap and cheerful [emoji106]

Last edited:
Random crash, pixelated picture on FTA, timeshift Randomly not working (after trying various SD cards, USB drives etc) on the whole they run I'd say 95% good. A better box wth internally fitted HDD will give you less problems

Auto bouquets not bringing the channels in on an update (only happened once)
EPG sometimes not loading (I've got the same settings in 4 different boxes) only the zgemma has occasional problems loading the EPG

Last edited:
Only real problem I have had with the zgemma is with a plugin autobouquets e2, it wouldn't update all, so I remove it and installed xmltv-importer it works great. So it is more the plugins to the box sometimes.

Might opt for the x trend 8000 then and stick a USB hd in the back. She's expecting to pay 150 so given the choice out of that or the zgenma I might just go on price and hope there's a good reason for the more money.

vu+ boxes are over priced and over rated I wouldn't even consider one and £150 you could easily pickup a 1tb hard drive (get this from different place if ordering from wos they over charge for harddrives) and twin sat box like the eddison

I installed the edision mini combo for a neighbor running vix and he is made up with it, it is on a light install
with just the abm, picons, crossepg and cams using the vix night build and it has not missed a beat in two months.

just my 2p

Last edited:
Back