10 year old boy struck by train in Dublin

noelyf

VIP Member
20090202085251DART.jpg

A ten-year-old boy is being treated for serious leg injuries tonight after being struck by a DART earlier today.

The boy fell from the platform as a northbound train arrived at Howth Junction station in north Dublin, an Irish Rail spokesman said. The incident took place at about 4.50pm.

Emergency services were called and brought the boy to Beaumont Hospital, Dublin where he is being treated for ...serious leg injuries.

All trains were suspended through the junction for half an hour, including DART, commuter and enterprise services. Services between Howth junction and Howth were suspended until 5.55pm.

Irish Rail will investigate the incident.

More here,

Code:
http://www.thejournal.ie/10-year-old-boy-injured-after-being-struck-by-train-at-howth-junction-298381-Dec2011/

Last edited:
Poor little sod, hope the lad will be ok, obviously can't say he was lucky but it could have been allot worse.

Where was the parent's/carer whilst this happened.....?.

better not say they pushed him,surprised this does not happen more often,there should be a white line a foot away from edge your not suppose to cross unless train is stopped in front of you.hope the kid makes a full recovery.

Does that line not already exist, I would have thought it is there(my memory isn't that great< and one train station in any country is pretty much the same as any other).
anyway, let's hope he gets all the care he can and recovers.

Theres a yellow line at every station with the words "keep behind this line".

A lot of people take no notice though.

Kilbarrack2.jpg

stat-kilbarrack-01.jpg

if they dont take notice then they pay with their life - what more can they do to alert the people that you should stand behind the yellow line - common sense - its free! Sorry to sound too harsh

[h=1]Heroic mum rushed to aid boy (10) hit in Dart accident[/h]

jan_992627t.jpg

By Geraldine Gittens

Thursday December 08 2011

ONE heroic witness to a horrific Dart accident in which a boy was seriously injured has described how she rushed to help him as he lay helpless under the train.

Janice O'Leary (33), a mother-of-five from Balbriggan who is pictured above, came to the aid of 10-year-old Gary Burke when he told her he could not feel his legs after the accident at Howth Junction Station at 4.45pm on Tuesday.

She told the Herald: "I was coming in from Dublin city and a woman came into the carriage and pressed the emergency button and she said a child was after getting trapped under the train.

"A woman shouted, 'I'm a nurse' and she asked me to go down in the gap with her. I took off my jacket so she could put it under his head, and she asked for anyone on the platform to take off their jackets to keep him warm.

Blood

"I asked him his name and he said it was Gary, and he said, 'I was running along the platform and I had my hand on the train and I accidentally slipped down the gap'. He said, 'it was an accident. I can't feel my legs, are my legs OK?'

"I got the torch and when I saw his leg I thought it was a steel bar but it was his leg bone with the skin peeled off his leg. There was blood as well."

Gary was accompanied by his sister on the Howth junction platform and she was left distraught and in total shock while emergency services attended to him. "He asked, 'where's my sister?'
and I told him she was here. I just kept telling him, 'your legs are alright, everything's going to be ok'. He was totally in shock.

"He was screaming when they were taking him up through the gap between the train and platform," she added.

Janice said children often play on train platforms but do not realise the dangers, and she lost sleep after the incident.

She said: "Everyone was telling me fair play for going down to him but I didn't even think about it. I just wanted to climb down and keep him alert. I needed to keep him talking and stop him thinking of the pain."

hnews@herald.ie

God bless the nurse and Janice for being there for the young lad but again WTF was a 10 year old allowed to play near a fecking train, my son is 9 and I never let him out of my site never mind leaving him to play near a train.

Sorry I may sound harsh but the parent/s should be ashamed unless the lad went out without permission.

It brings a tear to my eye comparing my son in the same situation being a year behind him but that wouldn't happen because we take good care of him.

well its good you keep an eye on him as there are plenty of parents that dont,and boy did they get a shock when their precious kid got nabbed this year when the riots happened(y)

another example of poor parenting - your a parent for 24/7 of the day and for the rest of your life - parents need to do more to protect their kids - all you hear now is how kids are dying, being beaten to death and other stuff - gosh its like judgement day is coming very soon!

Back