12 arrested in Ireland over credit card fraud

noelyf

VIP Member
432.jpg

Credit card scam

178 people worldwide are arrested

Tuesday, 15 June 2010

12 people in Ireland have been arrested in an international credit card fraud scam.

178 people in 12 countries were held as Spanish police closed in on the alleged credit card fraudsters.

Spanish police said they have broken up a vast international network, which produced fake credit cards.

Members of the gang used real credit card numbers to produce fake cards, which they then used to withdraw money from cash machines and make payments.

The network was also involved in 'theft, swindling, sexual exploitation and money-laundering'.

The network brought them 'profits of more than €20m', according to Spanish police.

76 people were held in Spain, 30 in France, 16 in Romania, 16 in Germany, 12 in Ireland, eight in the US, seven in Italy, four in Hungary, three in Finland, two in Australia, two in Sweden and two in Greece as part of the operation.

Police did not indicate the nationalities of those arrested.

that is some size of a fraud ring, would make you wonder how safe Visa cards are, even with chip and pin, especially as the US hasn't taken to this, every transaction we made on holiday had to be signed for

that is some size of a fraud ring, would make you wonder how safe Visa cards are, even with chip and pin, especially as the US hasn't taken to this, every transaction we made on holiday had to be signed for

yes we the brits have to sing but the americans i notice didnt PLUS over there anyone can use their cards its seems, kids use parents cards and wives use hubbys card. Plsu in shops wer have ben ein in the US they dont even check your siggy!
Chip and pin or plastic cards are only as safe as we make them. some people hide thier card when tapping in their pin, others dont. But its when your using your card in say an outside cash machine or petrol stations or shops you dont use often that you have to be wary.
Im very careful and only use the 1 petrol station - if i can, dont use cash machines unless they are INSIDE the bank, never get cash back and always check online for my transactions or check statements. Even if i shop online - which is the best place for fraud, i use same online shops or ones with secure features.

AS you all know you dont have to have your card stolen to have it cloned or money taken form your banks. Unfortunately i have been victim to both.
You know what the saying is if you can make it someone can fake it, if you own it someone can clone it!!

Just my 2pennerth worth :)

these gangs are so well organised that your card only has to be out of your hand for a few seconds and hey presto, your card can be used on the other side of the world.

Back