2 Questions - Separate USB for recording and Timeslip/EPG & Which format for USB/HDD

New to all this, going to set up my new box tonight.

2 questions

1- Is there any benefit to using separate USB for recording and the Timeslip/EPG.
I have 2x 32GB Sandisk USB drives - the ones that are almost invisible, just the size of the USB socket really. I will probably upgrade the recording one in due course to a larger HDD once I know how good these boxes are and if I am using the recording a lot.

2- Which format shoudl I use for the Recording USB/HDD.
I see some difference of opinion, and setup guides saying the opposite of each other. Some say FAT32 is more reliable, others say that a longer recording is no good on FAT32 as its maximum is 4GB so around an hour on some programmes.
I particularly want to back up some recordings and edit the adverts out which I read you can do by FTP the recorded file off the Recording USB/HDD.

Re 1, some people just don't like their hard drive working constantly. I use mines for everything no probs

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Snap bangord I have everything working from hdd with no issues.
I just format the hdd on the box once initialised I make sure I convert from ext 3 to ext 4, and my recordings are fine, for example wwe raw goes on for 3 hours and I record the whole show fine.

I have recording set to go to HDD, and use the MicroSD for timeshift.
LikeBangord30 said, it keeps the HDD from running constantly.

Kieron

Back