2 way pull switch only works a certain way

@steptoe , ok may have a look at that , by single red ,do you mean not the same twin cable that the black is running in? And if it's not correct, will it blow the fuse ,as they are the old type with fuse wire. Thanks.
I'm sure the pull switch wasn't wired like that originally but may give it a go .

@steptoe , ok may have a look at that , by single red ,do you mean not the same twin cable that the black is running in? And if it's not correct, will it blow the fuse ,as they are the old type with fuse wire. Thanks.
I'm sure the pull switch wasn't wired like that originally but may give it a go .
The cable with the black and red wires goes to L1 and L2 , it doesn't matter which way round, there should also be a red on its own, this goes to com/common ,
It won't blow the fuse,

@steptoe, I understand what you are saying and I can see that the COM on wall switch has a red wire connected , but the com at the pull switch definitely had black wire originally and worked for 20 years . Then all of a sudden, the problem of one or the other switch not working unless the opposite one was turned off occurred. This makes me think theres another problem somewhere. I tested the old wall switch for continuity and that works , so wasn't a faulty wall switch. Thanks for your help.

Is it at all possible for the red wire from COM at wall switch to go to ceiling rose ,or am I talking rubbish again.

Is it at all possible for the red wire from COM at wall switch to go to ceiling rose ,or am I talking rubbish again.
It's very possible, but rest assured, the black in the two core cable did NOT go to com on the pull switch,
One of the single reds to com provides a LIVE supply to the switches, the other single red takes a SWITCHED supply from the other com back to the light.

maxresdefault.jpg
2 way lighting diagram ,
phase means live so that single cable from your fuse
2 yellow wires connecting L1 and L2 on both switches usually wired in twin and e cable also called strappers. Hope this might be of help.

@ steptoe ,Looking at the diagram , there isnt a wire that goes from com to com , i know there are different ways to wire a 2 way switch . but if i have time i will swap the black in the pull switch with a single red and try it . thanks

@ steptoe ,Looking at the diagram , there isnt a wire that goes from com to com , i know there are different ways to wire a 2 way switch . but if i have time i will swap the black in the pull switch with a single red and try it . thanks
That’s correct the supply goes into 1 common and the switch wire goes to the other common the circuit is completed along the yellow wires (strappers) which allows the circuit to be switched on/off from both switch location It really is that simple.

I said that in post #42

@ steptoe, can I firstly apologise and secondly thank you for your help with this , I have just been and wired the pull switch how you said and its working fine . I am still convinced that it wasn't like that originally and wish I had taken a photo, but didn't because I could remember that the 2 red wires were L1 and L2 . Anyway its working now thanks to you and I'm sorry it caused a few arguments amongst you .

Attachments

• 20210820_142947.jpg
    20210820_142947.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210820_142939.jpg
    20210820_142939.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210820_142935.jpg
    20210820_142935.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
@ steptoe, can I firstly apologise and secondly thank you for your help with this , I have just been and wired the pull switch how you said and its working fine . I am still convinced that it wasn't like that originally and wish I had taken a photo, but didn't because I could remember that the 2 red wires were L1 and L2 . Anyway its working now thanks to you and I'm sorry it caused a few arguments amongst you .
Main thing is its sorted now bud and probably saved on some money without need of electrician visit

Not to worry,
It's working now, and that's the main thing.

(It is possible the other switch may have been marked as L1 L2 & L3 )
But that's irrelevant as you got it sorted, and saved some pennies.

Back