2005 dodge ram 1500 low oil pressure at Idle

I have a 2005 ram 1500 with the 4.7l engine. Recently I have developed an issue with a low oil pressure warning. Only when the engine has warmed to operating temperature and only when coming to a stop. As soon as I stop my RPM's drop almost as if it is going to stall at the same time the warning for low oil pressure starts to go off if i press on the gas pedal the warning stops. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit but the problem hasn't been resolved. Someone told me it could be that the screen on the pickup tube could be clogged. I was also told there was an issue with the pickup tube not being wide enough and that it clogs quite easily and that replacements tubes have been made to remedy that.
So my questions are:
1. What are the most likely culprits for this issue?
2. Would it be best to start by pulling the pan and inspecting the tube and screen or is this issue more serious? If the screen is clogged is it easy to clean or should it be replaced
3. Is there any truth to there being an issue with the width of the pickup tube?

how many kilometers on your truck.just how low do the rpms drop when you come to a stop.if it is an automatic tranny and your rpms drop to below say 500rpm there is a good chance it will trigger the low op warning.once you stop does your rpms pick back up again and if so does the low op lite shut off? by the way its not likely a clogged pu tube unless you havent changed the oil in like forever.a manual op test would ultimately be your next step.

Mileage is 145,321 transmission is automatic. When I stop rpm drop to about 400 at the same time the low OP warning goes off. If I tap the accelerator rpm go up and low OP warning stops. I recently changed the oil and did a motor flush. I decided to pull the pan yesterday. There was some debris on tube. I decided to replace it. One interesting note the opening for the screen on the replacement part is significantly larger than the stock part.

chances are its the low rpm on stopping that is giving you this trouble.try to avoid motor flushes as they can break free a lot of crap that naturally goes thru your lubrication system.145k kilometers is not that much,and if you have done regulare oil changes you are probably ok.just to be sure i would do a manual op test just to set your mind at ease.

Back