2nd Gen Firestick question

loncell

TK Veteran
A good friend dropped it off saying its lagging and could j look at it.
I ran it and its slow channel hopping, press a button then there's like a delay of a few seconds. Apps take an eternity to kick up.

He doesn't have many extra apps installed so I stopped them 1 by 1 and cleared cache for each but its the same.
Is there something i can do to speed it up or are 2nd Gen (not 4k) not up to the job ?

FIRESTICK SETTINGS YOU NEED TO TURN OFF IMMEDIATELY!!! type this into youtube and this helps with your firestick. I have two sticks 1st and 2nd gen both work great after doing this.​

The 1st and 2nd gen firesticks do become laggy over time it could be a power consumption kinda thing if plugged directly into tv for a power source it dosnt get the right amount of power to run it smoothly.
If was plugged into a mains socket and was still lagging bin it and get 4k one lol

My 2nd gen FS was slow and laggy. I just thought it was pony and couldn't wait to upgrade it.

Then I played about with it as I found it only went like that after using IPTV. I read something that made me think so I tried it out...

Switch the IPTV player to Hardware Encoding NOT Software Encoding which they all seem to default to. The difference was night and day - everything became more responsive and the picture quality seemed to improve.

Now the 2nd gen FS is almost as quick as my 4k Firebox. It seems when SW encoding is switched on the CPU is doing ALL the work meaning it slows right down and heats up. HW encoding transfers all of the video processing to the onboard GPU taking the bulk of the load off of the CPU. Now both the CPU and GPU are doing the jobs they're meant to do.

My 2nd gen FS is no longer slow and laggy so my advice is to look into that.

Back