5 of the best eBook Reader Apps for Android Devices

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
books-icon.png
The pleasure of reading a good book is unparalleled. The satisfaction gained from absorbing literature can beat any videogame, sport, movie, or social interaction. Reading takes you to new worlds, untouched realms of imagination, and undiscovered lands of emotion – all of which are courtesy of the human imagination. For centuries now, books have been the medium of transporting this pleasure far and wide. However as the 2nd decade of the 21st century is gaining speed, a new method of delivering this medium has come. More and more books are being published and read in the form of e-books or electronic books. So, dear reader, if you’re planning on reading books on your Android device, which applications will you use? In this article, I’ll suggest 5 common and trusted e-book reader apps.

Kobo. Kobo e-books provides a different reading experience. Aside from it’s impressive collection of interesting titles, this app can also monitor and track your reading statistics. You can buy e-books from inside the app itself add them directly to your device for more convenience. Sharing your memorable reading experience is a delight with Kobo because of the integrated Facebook feature which not only makes your reading delight for yourself, but also makes it a delight for everyone else who’s a friend of yours.

Google Books. The sheer vastness of books that you can read through Google Books (around 3 million titles) sets this reading app apart from other e-book reading apps. Being from Google, with this app, you will be able to choose and read from tons upon tons of books from Google’s vast library of free and public domain books. Some of these books are hard to find anywhere else.

Sony Reader. The Sony Reader Android app comes pre-loaded with three classic titles by default. That’s to kick-start your reading experience right off the bat so that you can taste the bliss of reading immediately. Sony Reader also includes other features like adjustable font size, and the ability to create and edit bookmarks and highlights in books.

Nook for Android by Barnes & Noble. Nook is an amazing app. With it, you can access around 2 million titles, and the best part is that you can try any magazine or newspaper for absolutely free for 14 days. You can also sample Nook books free! You can choose from hot and new releases, bestsellers, or classics. Nook can also keeps your place so you can resume reading your book, magazine, and newspaper right from where you left off.

Kindle. Last but not the least is Kindle. If I may say, this is kind of classic. Aside from being able to access countless titles, Kindle also recognizes and “remembers” where you left off. It can also sync with your other devices that have the Kindle e-book reader, so if you start reading a book at home, you can continue with it on your commute with your smartphone. Now, isn’t that convenient?

So you see that reading’s not only no longer limited to books made of paper, but there is also a wide variety of tools or e-book reader apps that are available at your discretion. But remember, book or e-book, whatever e-book reader app you use, don’t forget to simply let yourself fall victim to the blissful pleasures of reading.

[SUB]==== Author bio ====
Alexis Thompson is a former Mountain Backpacker and a 26 year old mother of 2 daughters, Sophie and Rhian. She is into almost all types of Music especially The Fray and Hillsong. She also has a passion in Singing and Scrap Booking. She loves taking pictures on her android. Follow her escapades on Twitter.[/SUB]

The eBook reader I use on my Nexus 7 is called FBReader. I have a large eBook library (5000+) and this app allows me to organize and view my collection by author, with sub categories for series so it's easy to work your way through an entire series of books in order. I use Calibre ebook library manager on my laptop to format the books and add cover art to the metadata within each ebook (Calibre plugin) so it is displayed in FBReader.

...and it's free.

More info from FBReader website:

supports a lot of e-book formats: ePub, kindle (mobipocket) fb2, rtf, html, microsoft doc, rtf, and plain text
book collection and reading positions can be synchronised with cloud
PDF & DJVU files supported via plugins (PDF plugin, DjVu plugin)
supports direct reading from zip archives
organizes user library by titles, authors, series, etc.
bookshelf view for library is available as a separate plugin
provides direct access to a lot of network e-book libraries and stores
supports adding of custom OPDS catalogs
is integrated with popular dictionaries like ColorDict, SlovoEd, Fora, etc.
can use external TrueType/OpenType fonts
is localised for 29 languages
includes hyphenation patterns for 16 languages

I have just purchased a nook simple touch and am trying to get the hang of it. I really enjoy books by James Herbert. Can you possibly suggest where I might be able to get free downloads of these books? I have looked on my local public library site and they don't have any on there.

I use the free reader app Aldiko on my Hudl2. and I use free Calibre on my pc to manage and convert books to different formats.
I have got most of the James Herbert ebooks but having only just joined techkings today, I don't know yet how to share them with you :(

---------- Post Merged at 01:29 PM ----------

James Herbert - They are there already in the ebooks section, uploaded by HiTeck. There were some I hadn't got yet, so now I'm sorted :woohoo:

On my Android tablet, I use an app named Cool Reader which lets you load documents from your SD card or tablet storage. It's pretty basic, but I find it does the job quite well.

The best ebook manager I have used for years and even donated to on both the pc and my Nexus 7 is Calbire. Excellent tool.

Using UB reader on my old Samsung 10.1 Have to say Its far better than a couple Ive tried, ePub reader was okay but I couldnt swipe my pages

Back